just bought ip4000

pixma_newb

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hey, i just bough an ip4000 lately and i just wanted to know whats the best setting to print pictures? and what program should i use (easy-photoprint?) thank you!

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To Pixma_newb,

Hey good choice---its a great printer---but learn to use the software you have before you willy nilly look for better.

Your options are wide open with a non-chipped Canon---will you use OEM cartridges---third party cartridges, or refill your own?

What photopaper will you use?

Just my two cents---others may have different opinions.

pixma_newb

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hey im using the sample canon pack photo paper pro and planning on getting maybe costco printer paper? i'm also planning to use G&G third party cartridge and refill.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Pix - If you are planning to refill I would suggest that you just buy refill inks and possibly some empty cartridges so you don't introduce an additional variable. I use Costco paper and MIS bulk inks in my IP5000 and i960 with just the canon settings for glossy photo paper and the color set to manual. Others have used formulabs inks from alotofthings or hobbicolor inks and been very happy with them. If you didn't want to refill, G&G carts had mixed reviews with some bad carts some months ago. Neil Slade (whose info you should absolutely read - his link is at the top of this forum's page) says that they have solved their cart problems and I think he uses them exclusively now.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
pixma_newb

I have been using my 4000 as my main printer for over a year, its had fairly constant use mainly on the photo side, its been the best printer I have had to date (previous were 6200 and s820)

I second all that the previous posters have said regarding ink, paper and refill.

To be honest, I have thrown a variety of inks and carts at it but it has taken them all in its stride with the occasionaL hiccough. I find that the Photo Paper Pro setting works well with most papers, with perhaps a little tweaking on the Intensity level in Preferences.

When I refill a cart I always replace it with another cart whilst the original is being re-filled to prevent drying out or an airlock forming , but sometimes an airlock does happen even so. After everytime a cart is removed or replaced I run 2-3 nozzle checks to find out if the ink is flowing ok, if its not, I initiate a 1st stage clean , this solves the problem of airlock everytime, pushing ink through without firing the nozzles.

Service Manual PDF which contains lots of very useful info (which you will eventually need), can be obtained here:-

http://hosted.filefront.com/knightcrawler/1412193

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Thanks, headphonesman for that link to the service manual.

I also downloaded the manual on printing to CD/DVDs but I guess this function is disabled in the US. Does anybody know if it is possible to get a tray and implement the software?

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Thanks, headphonesman for that link to the service manual.

I also downloaded the manual on printing to CD/DVDs but I guess this function is disabled in the US. Does anybody know if it is possible to get a tray and implement the software?
Buy on eBay-for an arm and a leg or make one from a skinny dvd holder.I made mine that way.
The printer modification can be found here.

http://fiveeasysteps.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=trays

tray9gf.jpg

pixma_newb

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
what can you tell me about setting such as halftoning, vivid photo, image optimizer, photo optimizer pro?