ip6220D PG-40 PG-50 CL-41 CL-51 single sponge?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Well after my i965 died, I'm looking to buy a new printer. I think Pixma 6220D is quite good. Does anyone know if cartriges are easy to refill? Are they single sponge cartriges or like BCI-6 a ponge and ink in two containers?

A also like Pixma 5200, but use of pigment ink makes me think it will clog pretty soon?

IMO canon made seriaus design flaw in using dual sponge cartriges as they seem to last less than single sponge like Bci 21,24.
I'd use to refill my original Bci 21,24 cartriges 30 times, then I sold my pixma 1000, because of loud operation. Can't say that about BCI-6 8-10 times most.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Pixma 6220D has the print head on the cartridge, like HP cartridges. Canon is trying to pave a way for consumers to walk into HP's business model for Canon. The cartridge will be difficult to refill and even if you succeed the print head will last for a few refills only. As a result Canon's pocket is getting fuller and yours will be empty each time you need ink. Canon is giving away this printer with things such as IN STORE CASH REBATE, MAIL-IN REBATE, and it looks like you only pay $29.95 for the printer. Well, when you print photos with it to fill up an album the cost for the OEM ink cartridge would be enough for several of this printer.

Printers use BCI-6 cartridges are far superior than thos that use BCI-21 and 24. Have you tried to refill any BCI-6 carts? If you haven't you should try it. You will change your mind.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Tin Ho said:
Pixma 6220D has the print head on the cartridge, like HP cartridges. Canon is trying to pave a way for consumers to walk into HP's business model for Canon. The cartridge will be difficult to refill and even if you succeed the print head will last for a few refills only. As a result Canon's pocket is getting fuller and yours will be empty each time you need ink. Canon is giving away this printer with things such as IN STORE CASH REBATE, MAIL-IN REBATE, and it looks like you only pay $29.95 for the printer. Well, when you print photos with it to fill up an album the cost for the OEM ink cartridge would be enough for several of this printer.

Printers use BCI-6 cartridges are far superior than thos that use BCI-21 and 24. Have you tried to refill any BCI-6 carts? If you haven't you should try it. You will change your mind.
If i6620D has print head integrated into cartrige than how come these cartiges cost only 19$ I think you are not right.
take a look yoursef http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ages?q=cl-51&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=G

I have tried BCI-6 as I had i965 printer that died on me. I can't say anything good about them, BC24 cartiges outlasted any BCI-6 I had ever used. Thats 10 refills vs. 25 at least. I think that is because sponge dries our on BCI-6 and on BC24 there is only one sponge and it is more or less with ink. In BCI-6 the top of the sponge is never fully in ink so it eventualy dried out even after you refill it sometimes does not get wet. Unlike BC24 whe you fill ink troug the top of the cartrige and always get the sponge wet.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Smile said:
Well after my i965 died, I'm looking to buy a new printer. I think Pixma 6220D is quite good. Does anyone know if cartriges are easy to refill? Are they single sponge cartriges or like BCI-6 a ponge and ink in two containers?

A also like Pixma 5200, but use of pigment ink makes me think it will clog pretty soon?

IMO canon made seriaus design flaw in using dual sponge cartriges as they seem to last less than single sponge like Bci 21,24.
I'd use to refill my original Bci 21,24 cartriges 30 times, then I sold my pixma 1000, because of loud operation. Can't say that about BCI-6 8-10 times most.
I still have a Canon BJC-4100 which uses the BCI-21 carts and it was no fun refilling them.The cart has to be lobotomized before you can add your 3cc to the colour cart.
30 x 3=90 cc of ink as against a BCI6 8 x 14=112, so there's no difference and if you want a one piece sponge, buy Hobbicolors kit.The virgin tanks have one piece sponges.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I just looked at Canon support site. CL-41 has an integrated print head on it. CL-41 and CL-51 and many other similar ones are called by Canon FINE integrated cartridges. They all have integrated print head on them. I actually saw one out of a Canon Pixma printer with a CL-41. I believe I wasn't looking at a HP printer.

CanonPhreak

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Smile said:
If i6620D has print head integrated into cartrige than how come these cartiges cost only 19?
The cost of the cartridges is not $19. The CL-51 lists at Canon at $34.99 and the CL-52 lists at $24.99 and the printhead is built on to the cartridge.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
You can be right, I'd must have mistaken them for refill kit.