IP6000D - My Experience with China Cartridges and a clog.

JKing

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've been reading this forum (and others) and I would like to share my experiences with others. I know I have done many things wrong so feel free to criticize my actions to spare someone else the same problems.

First of all I use my printer in spurts not every day like others. I print hundreds of pictures in a short period of time then I wont print pictures for months. I use cheap Chinese cartridges. I save enough money during the course of a year to more than pay for a new printer. Depending on how much you print, this may or may not be the case for you.

Anyway, I printed hundreds of 8.5 x 11 pictures last November and December. Probably about 8 sets of cartridges worth. Since then I have been using the printer for everything except photos. Lots of Black, Cyan, Yellow, Magenta, but no PM, or PC and probably no cleanings run for 9 months. I went to print a photo and the PC is clogged. (Surprise, Surprise)

Here are the steps I have taken to try to unclog it.
1) Multiple Cleanings
2) New Cartridge and multiple cleanings
3) Canon Cartridge and multiple cleanings
4) Compressed air - Canon Cartridge and multiple cleanings
5) Soak in Windex overnight Compressed air - Canon Cartridge and multiple cleanings
6) Windex cartridge ( I made this by taking a new China PC cartridge, forcing as much ink out as I could then filling it with Windex. My first attempt at refilling and it was easier than I expected.) Currently this has been in the printer for a week. A deep cleaning almost every day. I am printing the nozzle test with the Windex cartridge. The PC ink has colored the Windex a bit so I can still see the results.

I am about to go and buy another IP6000D while I can still find one. This time I will set the default to photo paper so that the PC and PM nozzles are used in everyday printing. I am also planning on refilling so I can choose the ink I use instead of the China cartridges I am currently using. I will hang around here reading others experiences with ink suppliers before I choose one.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
JKing,

1. Since the clog is in your printhead, contact your local Canon service center and see how much it will cost to buy a replacement print head before deciding whether to buy another printer or just a print head.
2. If you are going to scrap your print head/printer and are mechanically inclined, look at this thread (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=241) to see if you want to attempt this last ditch cleaning technique.
3. If you buy a new printer/print head, consider keeping the current one for text and the new one for photos. When the photo print head/printer will be idle for an extended period, remove the print head, blow out the ink with low pressure compressed air and use a tool like the one shown by hpnetserver in the referenced link to completely flush out any remaining ink with print head cleaning solvent. Place a folded paper towel on the bottom of a food storage container, wet the towel with the same print head cleaning solvent, set the print head on the soaked towel and seal the container. When you need to print photos again, remove the photo print head and blow out the cleaning solvent before installing it in the printer. If you don't have any cleaning solvent, here is a link to one source (http://216.219.159.185/tools.html).

JKing

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Additional notes:
1) The Photo Cyan is not completely clogged. The nozzle check shows approx 1/2 clogged.
2) I tried Isopropyl alcohol and distilled water. Soaked overnight. Steamed the print head. Dipped the print head in boiling alcohol and water. (I was losing patience when I tried that) (Remember these are not recommendations just what I did) (I am not a trained professional. Proceed at your own risk. It didnt work anyway.)
3) Refilled a cartridge with Windex and Isopropyl. Cleaned Head. Let Sit. Printed photos. (They smelled good but didnt look to good) Left the cartridge in the printer for a few weeks. Continued to use the printer for other (non-Photo uses) during this time.
4) I didnt have the syringe tool that was in the link. I did find a straw that fit the ink pickup and was able to blow ink and then alcohol through the print head. I couldnt get myself to try sucking the alcohol/water through the other way. (I couldnt even convince my kids to try. :) (Just kidding))
5) I still havent given up on this printer but I am contemplating replacing either the printer or the print head.
6) In the meantime I made the cardboard DVD tray (And it works!) so I want to get it working even more now.

jpk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
To JKing,
I have a Cannon Multipass MP730 (printer, scanner, fax, copier combo), in which I have been using InkTec and Computer Friends ink to refill the ink tanks. In the past few months, it developed an inability to print, first blue, then red in one direction. The color printer fine in one direction, but not in the other direction of its multipass operation, leaving lighter colored bands of these colors, in photo prints. I tried multiple cleanings, etc., with no results. I finally brought the machine into my local (40 miles away) Canon Authorized Service Facility. They charged me $29.00 to check it out and give me an estimate. They called 2 days later, saying it would cost me $130.77 for a new print head (61.77), and labor (69.00). I decided to just pick it up without being repaired, so I could continue to use it as a black and white printer, scanner, copy machine, and fax. On the way home, I stopped into a Circuit City store, and bought a new Cannon Pixma iP6000D, for $119.96, which I will use for my color printing. The 6000D has been discontinued, and is now selling for less than the cost of a new printing head for my MP730. Tomorrow, I will set up the iP6000D, and will keep your advice in mind, and try to print a color picture every few weeks, to keep the head from drying out. Thanks for your comments.