ip4300

kh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
okay, here's my problem, I've read the faq's and tried it all but its still not working??

I refilled my ink before it was completely empty and have the canon pixma ip 4300. I read the one link that said printers above ip 4200 were unlikely to be able to reset the ink level for the printer. However, to get around it, you'd hold the resume/reset? button for 5+ seconds which I did and yes, my printer continued to print but its printing in streaks. What am I doing wrong? I was thinking that the gauge being low/empty according to the printer chip is "attempting to use less ink because it thinks its out"?? Is that possible? How can I fix this? TIA!

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Well it has nothing to do with the printer operation. And everything to do with the cartridge itself. Could be low quality ink, could be over filled. Maybe give your refilling procedure for starters, and the type of ink you are using?

kh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
refilling procedures -take the cartridge out, tape up the one end tightly then inject ink until about 2/3 full on the side without the sponge, then I seal to refilling end up again with electrical tape

type of ink used -bought it at an ink-refilling stand and was the type specific for the ip printers, but that shouldn't make a difference because we also have an ip 3000 that we use this ink for and its always prints fine after the refill

the cartridge thinks its empty though even after the fill and although we bypass it by holding the resume button, its printing in streaks and some of the colors aren't printing properly?? like the orange is printing more greenish?

thanks!

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
kh said:
.............. then I seal to refilling end up again with electrical tape
Please give us more details about just what you did to open a hole to refill through and how you seal that hole after you put in the ink.

Your streaks when printing and the wrong colors can indicate excess ink going to the printhead, and it may be that you have an air leak where you seal the refill hole.

Was the cartridge that you just refilled your cyan one?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
You can take the print head out and look at the bottom of the print head. If you find small pool of ink there you have overfilled the cartridge. If there is no ink there then you may have got a clog. Whenever there is streaking that means the print head is unable to print for some part of the image that is supposed to be printed. Either there is a clog inside the print head or a blockage outside. If you see ink on the bottom of the print head some of the nozzles are blocked from outside. This is almost always caused by overfilling the cartridges.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
After re-filling, make sure the refill hole is tightly sealed. If any air is getting in, this will also cause a possible pooling problem in the printhead, and posibly cross-contamination of colours.

A glue gun, or a screw ith a seal works best.

kh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
okay, sorry, i've been busy with exams lately but I went and resealed all my cartridges and I think its doing the job now so thanks for all your help! :D