ip3300

pnx14

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Is it possible to refill a part full cartridge. My problem came about when I put compatible cartridges in, after pressing the various options that came on the screen I now have no lights on any of the cartridges. Still half full and printing OK.
So I dont want to let them go dry. After reading various posts I have decided to buy bottles of ink and fill using the method posted on the site, using one of the three manafacturers recommended.
Now I have no lights on, if I take one out and put it back in will I get any error messages?:(

Thanks.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If you are using compatible CLI/PGI without the chip reset you will not get ink level indication, or lights. You will have the same with refills as well, unless the chip is reset. Currently there are resetters available, but they are in the $500.00-$850.00 price range. You can purchase remanufactured cartridges, that have had the chips reset. These are your only options for now.

pnx14

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Tigerwan
Sorry I forgot to mention I put the original chips in the cartridges, but at the moment no lights.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Yes, same thing, these chips have not been reset, so no ink level and no lights, but you will be able to print. The chip needs to be there to be able to print, but if it is not reset, you loose ink level indication, and on some models the lights will not come on as well.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The downside is that you have to check the ink levels in the carts visually - no big deal. In addition, Canon tells you that you've lost your warranty. again, with the money you've saved from refilling you can buy several printers after yours dies without regard to a warranty.

pnx14

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I took out the ink cartridges just to see if I get any error messages, put them back all lights on, closed the cover, the on button and the resume keeps flashing, lift the lid, no lights on, buttons still flashing, now wont let me print. Get service error warning 6502. It says turn printer off then on, if this dosnt work refer to manual. aLL Tanks half full except magenta about a quarter full. New message popped up says some ink tanks cannot be recognised.
I'm not bothered if I do not get any warnings all I want to do is print, I will monitor the levels myself.
Please help. Pete.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The on button and resume button flash alternately 19 times, which is the Ink tank position sensor [6502]error, which usually means the platen unit or logic board is faulty, and needs replacing.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Pnx14,

How careful were you to put the correct chip on the cartridges?

The chips are assigned to a specific color cartridge and if you mix them up, the printer will complain and refuse to print. Mixed up chips may be why it doesn't recognize some cartridges.

pnx14

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Canonfodder

very careful, prior to taking the cartridges out it was still printing. The reason for me taking them out was to check on ink levels and to see if when put back it would still print, as I was thinking of buying bulk ink. If by any chance the one tank which is low but was still printing before being taken out could in the printers eyes be empty? would replacing it solve my problems.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If a tank is just empty, the printer should say so and ask if you want to keep printing. Since you did not say that it did that, but reported that the printer can not recognize some cartridges, you may have a chip not working or not making good contact. Check the chips carefully to make sure that they are in proper mounting position and that there is no glue on the contacts. Make sure also that the cartridges are fully inserted into the print head.

Before going ahead with any other variations, it would be good to try to get the printer going again with whatever Canon cartridges are needed to clear your problem. After getting it to print again, you can try one cartridge at a time to see which one is the trouble maker.