Intake roller problem in Epson 2200

arnnad

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi. My printer was previously able to accept heavier paper, specifically Canson Baryta photographique, by putting the right hand lever in the "envelope" setting. However, the rollers now slip on the paper and will only accept the paper if I push the paper down rather firmly. The rollers are difficult to access because they're shielded by a plastic flap. I've only used this paper a very few times but really like the results. Inserting the paper through the rear is a real pain.

Even though the rollers visually look OK they've never been cleaned. I'll really appreciate any thoughts on how to approach the problem.

Thanks

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
My R220 always hated running thick stock unless I jammed it through, but occasionally it would get even worse (paper dust buildup on the rollers). One thing I did to clean it, that probably isn't the best solution, was to take something heavy enough not to curl around the rollers (I used a plastic cover used for comb binding). This was oversized, so I had to trim it down to 8.5 x 11. Then I put a few strips of packing tape across the sheet, face up. Then use more tape, face down, along the top and bottom edges, and press it down firmly so the tape cannot jam up in the printer but you have a full band of adhesive exposed. Then feed the paper through the printer. It will get "stuck" on the rollers, gently pull it through all the way (this is why you don't want any near the edge of the paper feeder, so you have a good length of paper through the printer before it gets stuck).

You absolutely have to make sure the tape cannot easily come off and get wound up around the rollers. This is very much a "try at your own risk" idea, your feeding gears may get damaged when the paper "jams" but I did it several times a year while I had my R220. I had tried "cleaning sheets" but they didn't clean up the rollers well enough for me. You may want to look for that first - there may be a "stickier" version than what I found (I don't remember which one it was, one of the office supply store house brands I think). You don't want tape that's too sticky either, that will leave residue on the rollers.

A lot of my Epson photo papers came with some brown kraft paper looking sheets that were "kind of sticky" that were recommended to run through the printer every once in awhile.

arnnad

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I'm a bit reluctant to try feeding in an adhesive, for fear it might get stuck inside and create a major problem. Will try a cleaner sheet. I wish I could directly access the rollers so I could get better control but will try the cleaner sheet.

Thanks