Ink smudge on backside of paper Canon G2010

rounakr94

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma E510, Pixma G2010
Whenever I do fast and large volume printing the ink smudges on backside (non-printing) of paper.
This mostly happens when photocopying multiple copies of the same thing like say 10 copies of a business card.
The paper I use is 70gsm paper from a known brand of paper manufacturer in India. I tested with a different 75gsm paper and it didn't exhibit such issue. Is it because the 70gsm paper has a slightly shiny surface resulting in longer drying time and ink from previous print smudges on backside?
IMG_20230620_221344.jpg

Also if anyone wants to know I use the 70gsm paper for use and throw prints like business cards, id proofs etc. For prints that I need to store I use another paper that has a rougher surface texture and is 75gsm or sometimes a 80/100gsm paper.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Is it because the 70gsm paper has a slightly shiny surface resulting in longer drying time and ink from previous print smudges on backside?
Yes. Office paper exists in many types and qualities. Not all are suitable for use with inkjet printers. The 70gsm paper doesn't absorb ink quickly enough to prevent smudging and is not suitable for use with the inkjet printer. It might be suitable for use with a laser printer though.

Here is another thread about which papers are suitable for use with an inkjet printer.