ink level indicator (reset?) canon i965

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Steph said:
ok people,

the ink levels are incorrect. there doesn't seem to be any visual link between the ink cartridges and the computer to show how much ink is left.

i took all cartridges out, cleaned printhead and stuff, printed stuff (obviously very little ink came out as no cartridges were in the printhead), turned printer off, then on again, and the ink level information dialogue box still seems to think there is ink in the printer, when clearly there wasn't.

i put all cartridges back in, same situation.

is this because the dialogue window to indicate ink levels is purely based on how many times you click print or a time thing??? because nothing seems to make any difference.

i'm trying to describe my issue as clearly as possible, sorry to confuse you all.
The ink level will indicate the same for a full cart as for a missing one. That is because light is only refracted back to the ink sensor when a prism is present and it is not covered by ink. See this explanation for the 4000 carts.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip4000_pg2.html

BTW, the drawing showing carts part full in a 4000, is wrong . They either show full or empty.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Steph, is your print head still working? Printing with no cartridge and right after cleaning cycles is very dangerous to the print head. With no ink to cool the print head heaters in the nozzles it is suicidal to start a print job on it. Don't ever do that again. When you said "very little ink came out" it is being cocked, fried, and... I have to ask, is it still alive? Man, don't ever do that again please. I am pretty sure everyone will agree with me in that.

Steph

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
hpnetserver,

hey yeah the printhead is all fine, still alive. didn't intend to freak you out. printing is good.

where can i buy "virgin" carts (in Melbourne, Australia!!!) for attempting to reset the ink level indicator?

aman74

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hpnetserver said:
Steph, is your print head still working? Printing with no cartridge and right after cleaning cycles is very dangerous to the print head.
What do you need to do after cleaning cycles before you can print again? I never print without cartridges, but I do run cleaning cycles.