Ink for Canon MP830 question.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I need to replace ink for my Canon MP830.
I bought some non brand ink.
Now... I thought it owuld be like the good old days where you just stick the new cartridge in.

But no: you have to take out the old chip from the old cartridge.

From what I understand you reset the counter for the ink level.
BUT: then the software won't measure the ink levels anymore.
The instructions for the ink said I 'have to watch out and see when ink comes out faded' - and that's how I will know the ink has run out!

Bottom line: doing this is dangerous for the printer AND invalidates your waranty.
Is this right?
I don't want to pay for the expensive manufacurer ink - but then again I don't want to screw up my 250 printer!

Thanks.

OM

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Worse yet, by the time you notice it is faded, you may have done permanent damage by burning out some nozzles. The BEST way is to refill and top up when you remove the cartridge to check levels. You never waste ink by topping up. With compatibles you are taking a chance when you try reach to empty level. If you replace the cartridge before they are totally empty you will be wasting ink. Eventually you'll burn out your printheads if you depend on the faded sign and try to use all the ink.

Second the counter never resets. Period. With the new generation Canons either have deep pockets or become good at refilling. Any other option is not good.

use of any inks other than Canon supposedly invalidates the printer warranty. Now if the Power supply burnt out, I'd like to see how they can prove using other inks caused this.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I never had a single problem for removing cartridges for whatever reason and plug them back in. It's misleading that you have to top one up when it is taken out of the printer for ink level checking. You may waste some ink because the chipped OEM cartridges do know whenever any cartridge is removed from the printer. As a result it may do a cleaning cycle which will waste some ink.

I do not know about everyone but I have not seen a single post in this forum from anyone who has a burnt out print head from printers with chipped cartridges. I believe people refill the chipped cartridges. The risk of burnning out the print head is real but I have not seen anyone reporting a real case yet. Canon must have seen much reduced warranty claims for printers with chipped ink cartridges. It seems prefilled 3rd party ink cartridges made a significant contribution to warranty claims among printers with BCI-6 cartridges.