i9900 duplex printing checkbox grayed out

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The duplex printing box on my Canon i9900 has gone gray. It used to work, though it is one of the older clumsy types for which you have to reverse the stack of paper and re-insert it, not like those nifty new Pixmas which print on one side of a page then suck the page back in for the other side. Any ideas?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
"Duplex printing" is grayed out on my i9900 except when "plain paper" is selected. Since Canon's photo paper is single sided and things like envelopes and transparency film aren't printed on both sides, I guess that this makes sense.

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the post, but that is not the issue with mine. It is set from the driver properties level to be plain paper. I may just re-install the printer driver , except for the pain that it is a network unit.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
My i9900 was doing the same thing--not letting me select duplex. I went to the printer server computer and unchecked "Identify paper type" in the Custom Settings--you know, the one you told me about many months ago--and then I could select duplex. It tried to recreate the problem but couldn't, but at least it got fixed.

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks GHWells, but it is not that either. this one has me stumped.