HP: NEVER install their software!!!!!

adder70

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My wife loves the outputof HP printers, so we recently got another one, and we are going through the same issues as the previous printer, namely HP puts on so much monitoring this and that software your computer can't do it's regular stuff. Apparently, even though you're supposed to be able to use the all in one device without even having a computer, you need to kill your computer with their software for no reason I can fathom. Maybe the info being monitored is not for my benefit but for HP to use and it's being sent to them without my knowledge. It could be hidden in the super scroll product agreement everyone acknowledges without reading.

The programs are also quite difficult to get uninstalled (another reason to suspect ulterior motives to the software!), so I am now going to start using my work laptop at home because I would rather use a laptop keyboard than deal with a computer hamstrung by HP software!

Needless to say, I don't recommend buying HP products of any sort, but if you already have one and your computer seems slow, this is probably the reason.

If you think this email is insanely over the top, congratulations on not having HP products! :D

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
LOL... In fairness I can wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of HP's "wonderful" software and to add to it, the whole thing with the coding team who write their drivers needing a brain implant you wonder why anyone bothers.

However I have found a rather nice workaround to the software issue.

1. You get the download
2. You get 7zip and install it on your machine
3. You point 7zip at the HP download and extract everything into a folder you can find
4. You then go through a MANUAL installation of the printer using "Add printer" > "Have disk"
5. You point the browse.. to the extracted folder until you find a likely folder with the actual printer drivers in and then OK

This installs the driver without all the associated b*llox that HP try to foist on you with their POS installer and allows the whole thing to work.

As to the added features I've found you need to get a printer with a network port, then you can use the web server built in.

One day someone in HP will read this and have their programming team shot and start over... so if you hear of an anti-terrorist rendition for a Uk based printer tech you'll know they actually did it and it's all my fault :p