How to remove canon i950 cover?

baker

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I want to remove the cover from my i950, which prints a bad nozzle check pattern. It has been suggested on this site that the problem I see (clean and consistent dropped sections from the lattice printouts at the top of the page) may be due to bad electrical connections to the print head and that this might be cured by unplugging and replugging the flex cable. I don't see, though, how one removes the cover to expose the chassis to get at the cable. Any suggestions?

--Frank

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Remember the key phrase - keep it simple (when describing myself it is keep it simple, stupid! the KISS principle). Start by reading the first FAQ on this forum - what to do when the printer doesn't print properly. If cleaning cycles don't fix it start with the least potentially damaging way to clear clogs. Lots of info on the thread I mentioned. reserve what you suggest until all else fails.

baker

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
fotofreek: Thanks for your response to my post, and, indeed, I must say that,
with deep respect to the KISS principle, I omitted the background of my problem
or the steps I had already taken to fix it. These are as follows:

I first had a drop out of every other set of bars in the bottom of the left
lattice printout (?photo cyan), the top of that lattice being intact. A couple
of weeks later I had drop out of every other set of the top of the upper right
lattice printout (?cyan). The nozzle printouts, obtained multiple times, are
clean and consistent. Surprisingly, I do not see a noticeable effect on photo
images, though there is some just discernible horizontal bands, presumably
between head passes, when I print out a solid color such an image of a
Gretag-Macbeth color checker. And in a head alignment printout none of the cyan strips have a solid appearance.

I have done the following to remedy the nozzle check problem:
- Run standard cleaning several times.
- Run deep cleaning two times.
- Removed the head and blown air through the ports.
- Wiped the electrical contacts with alcohol.

Those have been my efforts at pursuing KISS. I figure the road now becomes
much steeper. Pursuing the possibility that I have a head clog problem in the
vane of the FAQ you refer to is one approach. However, the thread "i950 strange
nozzle check pattern" describes a similar problem to mine, and the respondents
are weighted to think this an electrical problem, and Trigger 37 in post #5
suggests unplugging and replugging the head cable. Hence my request for info
about how to remove the cover, which may be more KISS than lengthy and involved soaking, sloshing and blowing, as far as I know, not having removed a cover.

This brings up another matter, which I had thought to post in separate thread:
How does one interpret a nozzle check printout? This is raised by my type of
problem: the dropping of half of the vertical extent of every other column.
Is there knowledge in the community about what is happening here?
~

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
baker,.. I'm confused in reading your post. Your first post said, "bad nozzle check pattern.", but in the second post you said, "The nozzle printouts, obtained multiple times, are clean and consistent.". Regardless of my confusion, you haven't done the basic head cleaning yet to eliminate the possible clogged printhead.

Take out the ink carts and seal them so they don't dry. Remove the printhead and take it to your laundry room sink. Run full force tap water as hot as you can stand it while holding the printhead onto the filter screens for each color. Once most of the ink is gone, turn the Printhead over and use your "Hand Sprayer" (or just the faucet) directly on each row of nozzles. Stop for a second and turn the printhead over and check the filter screens for colored ink. You should seem some if water is getting through the PH. Repeat cleaning until there is no more ink. Use your air compressor to blow the entire PH dry, especially the back of the head where the contacts are. Try to get the water out that is underneath the circuit board by blowing air into the small openings. Get it as dry as you can. Clean the contacts on the backof the printhead with rubbing alcohol. Check the pressure contacts inside the Carriage ASM before you put the PH back in. Clean them carefully with Alcohol. Re-install the printhead and lock-open-lock the lever to force good connection.

Make sure the ink carts you install can flow good ink. Fold a paper towel into 1/4 size and blot the ink cart on the towel. If you don't get good wet ink, use your mouth to softly blow air into the top rear air vent. This will force some ink onto the paper towel. If you still don't get good ink to drop, you cart is drying up. The chamber may be full of ink but the sponge side is partially block. Bad flow of ink into the printhead can cause all kinds of problems and produce clogs. Put in new carts if you have to.

Do a cleaning cycle as soon as you re-install the PH. This will prime the head with new ink. Then print your nozzle check. If it is still not good, do at the most 2 deep cleaning cycles and repeat the nozzle check. If you still have a problem, scan the nozzle check and save it as a .jpg file, then upload it to this forum and post it in this thread. After that we'll talk about taking the covers off.

I've had this exact same problem and still have the pictures of the i950 nozzle check. I was lucky and fixed it.