Helpful test image with 'ramp' of squares within white and black

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I'm wrestling with printing, and came across a reference within Uwe Steinmueller's book, "Fine Art Printing for Photographers".

On the associated website, Jack Flesher provides an essay on evaluating a test print. BTW, with his last name, it should be pretty good. I've joined the whiners that getting flesh tones to be satisfactory is tough.

What sets this test print apart from others I've noticed is the "ramped squares" within surrounding black and white. Interesting, at least to me. You can see how gradually fainter white squares, and how gradually darker black squares are still barely discernible when surrounded by pure black and white.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
To date the most consistent flesh tones I have seen come out of a printer has been those having orange ink. The wide range of colors surrounding flesh tones that are available by having this ink color appears to allow profiles to hit flesh tones more reliably. The printer profiles appear more insensitive to flesh tone issues for some reason. As a contrast the 1800 needs to be tuned just right to hit flesh tones nicely, the 1900 is a relative cakewalk.