Help I'm confused - Canon BCI-6 cartridge refill with IMS kit

emnala

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am trying to refill a Canon BCI-6BK cartridge for my I960 printer. I bought the IMS kit from Costco. The IMS directions for the BCI-6 cartridges show a picture of a different looking cartridge. Mine has a white translucent label. The directions say to drill a hole in the top front of the cartridge, but in my cartridge it looks like there is some metal thing under the top of the cartridge so I'm guessing I can't drill it. I did manage to scrape off the label over a little round indentation and there is a bb there, so I am assuming that is the original fill hole. So I tried to push it through with the Ball Push Tool provided by IMS but it won't budge - should I push harder or use a hammer? Then will sealing with the bb work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just push harder.

Try not to scratch the inside of the hole or it will not get a tite seal when you put the new ball back in.

good luck

Robert

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
What brand cartridge? OEM carts have a clear plastic ball sealing the refill hole. Usually a sharp tap with a hammer with a center punch or similar tool pushes it into the reservoir area. Computer Friends sells blue plastic plugs to seal the OEM fill holes. They don't show them on their web site but they are in their refill kits. If you call or email they will sell them separately in packages (I beleive 12 per pack.) There is a whole section in this forum on sealing the fill holes. If you drill a hole that a #6 stainless sheet metal cap screw will almost fit you can use the screw/O ring technique. These screws are self tapping when screwed into a hole slightly smaller than the thread diameter. There are stainless screws with a self drilling bit at the end that will do the whole job. Get the shortest ones you can find to avoid wasting time unscrewing longer screws. Be sure to use stainless steel screws if you use this technique. The O rings should be a tight fit when put on the screws.

emnala

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks. I will push harder. My ink refill kit came with bbs, so I am hoping they will fit. They must be slightly larger than the existing BB that I will push through? If not, I will try the screw / o-ring method.

The BCI-6BK cartridge I am trying to fill is OEM (made by Canon).

My ink fill kit from Costco is branded IMS -- but I have seen posts by people referring to MIS ink refill kits. Are they the same?

Thanks

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
An important point: The screws we have listed on the forum are too small for the OEM cartridge refill hole after the little "bb" has been pushed through. What I suggest is to get a paper clip and "unwind" it. Use a lighter to get one end very hot and use this to melt a small hole for refilling. This will also be a great size hole for a screw.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Emnala - MIS is not the same as IMS. We have had mixed reviews on the costo IMS inks. I use MIS bulk ink. Very good color match and no clogs after almost a year of use.