HELP- Canon Printer Models for refilling tanks easily

campsteele

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I want to purchase a Canon Printer that is easily refilled by me. The all-in-one is what I would like to buy (maybe the MP610 or MP 750). It needs to be available in the stores -need it right away. I don't have to get MP type but need to copy from time to time. Who might have some advise? Highest priority is refillibilty. I seem to like the idea of separate ink for text printing. What do you think?

Ron

campsteele

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Wait a minute. Not missing something. Are all printers set up to make you deal with hassles if you use refill kits. This talk about chips, reset buttons, light beams. I just want a printer where I have the flexibility to add ink when it gets low. The canons seemed good for that because of clear tubs for visual inspection. Who can help me understand the issues?

Ron

tissouth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You pick your own printer, I will tell you about the Cartridges. Individual cartridges you have PG 5 black, and CLI 8 C M Y PM PC bk( Photo, not dark).
Filling is easy, drill a hole in chamber fill and seal. Install can be tricky, you need to disable the ink monitor. This is easy on older computers, but if you have windows vista, this dosen t always work.
They say ther is a chip reseter in the UK, but have not been able to find anyone who acutally has one, but everyone talks about it.
You can even get a video of it operating, but no information. The UK company that is listed for the company doesn t answer e-mails, and there is no other contact info.
The other cartridges are PG 30, 40, 50 Black, and CL 41, 31, 51, Color, not individual. Easy to fill, but sponge type only goood for three to six refills. This is easy, you drill holes in top under label and fill. Install you disable the ink monitor and your done. This works all the time.

campsteele

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
When you say disable ink monitor is that through the computer that is hook up. Is it hassle free after that- just as if you put in an OEM cartridge. I have a PC but Does it work with Macs? Is there any advantage to a canon vs. others?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Campsteele - there is lots of info about the chipped canon printers already on this forum. Take an hour or so and learn a bit about it. This is not rocket science. The chips remember when the cart (short for ink cartridge) is empty. When it is refilled the printer still recognizes it as empty. It tells you that if you continue to print it will void your warranty. Pressing certain of the buttons on your printer accepts that the warranty is voided, disables your ink monitor, and lets you continue to print with refilled carts. You can visually inspect the ink levels as the carts are clear plastic. The chip resetters are more expensive than any individual would want to pay - they are suitable for commercial refiller use. Refilling is slightly more complex than Tissouth mentions, but it is still very simple. There is an entire thread on this forum on making and sealing the fill hole. Instructions are available from every ink vendor on line. Check out the instructions for the BCI-6 carts as you do the chipped ones the same. As far as the choice of printer is concerned, buy one with either three dye-based individual carts plus a large black cart, or preferably one with four dye based carts and one large black pigment based ink cart as suggested by tissouth. Stay away from the least expensive canon printers with the three color inks in one cart. In my estimation, the Canon printers are still the best for refilling. Don't buy ink refill kits from local stores. Buy the ink or kits online. Look through this forum for recommended inks that others have had good results with. Bottom line --- Once you learn how to refill the carts it is really easy, and quick, and the mess you encounter at the beginning is easiliy contained when you get used to how it is done.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
campsteele said:
I want to purchase a Canon Printer that is easily refilled by me. The all-in-one is what I would like to buy (maybe the MP610 or MP 750). It needs to be available in the stores -need it right away. I don't have to get MP type but need to copy from time to time. Who might have some advise? Highest priority is refillibilty. I seem to like the idea of separate ink for text printing. What do you think?
I have the Canon MP 830 and love it.

There are several methods for refilling cartridges. You could vacuum refill - search for it in this forum. Several people on this forum use vacuum to refill with excellent result, though I think it is better for higher volume refilling than one cartridge at a time like most hobbyists. Then there are the two basic needle and syringe methods of refilling - a standard hole in top of cartridge method or the Durchstich/German method with hole on side towards bottom of cartridge. You can search for both methods in this forum as well.

If you prefer the standard method of refilling, then start by looking at the threads found in the "Refilling Inkjets" Forum. In fact, most all the knowledge you seek is contained within that forum. Whatever isn't will be added when the resident brainiacs, inventors and/or problem solvers figure it out.

A link to the text instruction for the Durchstich method at http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=1830

A link to instructional videos on both standard and Durchstich methods of refilling plus on about purging cartridges found in post #7 at http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=13145#p13145.

A text version on purging cartridges using Grandad's Method is at http://www.nifty-stuff.com/canon-BCI-6-cartridges.php

Lastly, Google.com is your best friend.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I still recommend getting an older printer like the MP750, as you suggest, that uses the unchipped BCI-3e and BCI-6 cartridges. You can find these on eBay, although the MP780 is much more likely to be found.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I know all the reasons why people love their MP780. I have one too. However, I also had an ip4000 (same as MP780 in the printer itself), ip4200. I found that ip4200 is a faster and better printer than ip4000 and MP780. Then I ran into a sale of ip4300 and bought one. When I found that ip4300 is again much faster and better than ip4200 I sold the ip4200. So if you compare ip4300 with MP780 I will say that mp780 is not worth considering any more. Printing quality of text and photo my ip4300 is onviously much better than my MP780. I still keep the MP780 because it is a multi function. In terms of refilling, all these printers can be refilled with basically no differences. They can all be easily refilled. The chips on the new printers is not an issue at all.