Hello everyone. I'm Dixon and I'm happy I found this forum!

cdx54

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
I have a Canon Pro-10, a Pro-100, an HP Designjet 500 42 inch, and a Designjet 510 42 inch printer. Oh, and my everyday document printer is a Canon Color imageCLASS lbp622Cdw laser printer. I have had my Pro-10 for 6 years, my Pro-100 for about 3 years.

The Designjets are both senior citizens, and I have done a total rebuild of the 500. It actually only needed a new x-axis drive belt, but parts for it are cheap and I had to tear into it anyway.

My Pro-10 suffered the dreaded B200 error a couple of years ago, and it also resulted in the head being stuck at the parking station. So, I had to disassemble that printer as well, just to replace the printhead.

I do digital art and fine art photography, and I make my own prints. All my printers are calibrated every six weeks, as are my monitors, with an x-Rite i1 studio device. If I plan to use a paper I've never used on a certain printer, I'll calibrate for the paper as needed. I mostly use Ilford Galerie Fine Art Textured (which looks a lot like canvas) and Red River UltraPro Satin 4.0, but sometimes I will experiment with more exotic mediums, such as metallics or cotton rag.

The Pro-100 is reserved for high gloss prints. The colors are so much more vivid than the pro-10 on glossy paper, due to the dye-based inkset.

For prints over 14" wide, I use the Designjet 500 (the 510 is just a backup printer), mostly with the Ilford textured paper on 75 foot rolls, or with real canvas. I use a UV semi-gloss spray over anything done on the Designjet, as I have found that the HP dye inks have less fade resistance than the Canon CLI-42 or PGI-72 inks do. However, with 2 to 3 coats of Krylon UV Archival varnish, I haven't found any fade on a test print that gets window sun for 6+ hours a day, so I'm keeping the old Designjet large format printers, rather than replacing them as I had planned to do.

Buying 2 cans of spray a month is much cheaper, and I have at least a few years worth of replacement inks for those guys anyway. The 500 also does a fine job on gloss paper, particularly HP Pro Advanced paper, but I really try to discourage any client from ordering gloss prints that large (16 to 40" wide). Too much surface area creates some ugly glare in less than perfect light.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Great introduction. Welcome to the forum, Dixon. Happy printing!