Giving up on i950, ordered a Pixma ip5000

Kenyada

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I had tried everything to get the Magenta cartridge spot to work (new cartidge, new printhead, etc) I'm now convinced that it may be an electronics problem. At any rate, I've elected to go with the ip5000. It takes the same cartridges, and Buy.com is currently offering an instant $30 rebate, PLUS a $20 mail-in rebate. So the deal was $129 (after rebates). No Marlon Brando, but it was definitely an offer I couldn't refuse. So I'll have the ip5000 to use for everyday photo printing, and it joins the i9900 that I use for important photo printing.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Kenyada,

I use my i9900 for everything. A single printer is (obviously) used more often than 2 printers would be, minimizing the potential of clogs as well as the extra cleaning cycles that are initiated after periods of inactivity. Unless you print so much that this is not a concern and you would "wear out" the 9900 in a few years, I would only have one photo printer.

Kenyada

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I print some things that are simply not worthy of the i9900 (if you know what I mean) - web pages, engineering stuff, rough drafts, etc. My i9900 is used for the serious photography, posters for my book, portraits, etc. - where quality is critical. The i9900 will only see Canon media and ink; no off-brand stuff. But I will be more liberal with the ip5000. Fresh from my i950 disappointment, I want to treat my i9900 like a lady... and the ip5000 like a work horse. That's why the $129 price point came in handy.