General Epson printer ink usage question on WF-2960

Electrojim

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-2960
I have a brand new WF-2960 that seems to be installed correctly and is communicating with my computer just fine. My question relates to ink usage, I am still on the cartridges that came with the printer.

Previously I have printed just one or two pages, but today had a 10-page document to print. The Status Monitor showed all four cartridges full before I started. I elected to print in black and white only. After printing 10 single-sided sheets with text, all four cartridges appear to be about 20% down from full. What gives? Is the readout a nonlinear indication of fullness? Why are the color cartridges down when I only used black ink? Help!

Attachments

• Snap7.jpg
    Snap7.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 38

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Why are the color cartridges down when I only used black ink? Help!
Unfortunately it uses a bit of all the colours when printing black, if it didn’t then when you go to print a colour document the head would be clogged from lack of use, its swings and roundabouts..

You’re on screen ink monitoring is only an approximate, it doesn’t truly measure how much ink is left.. Enjoy your printing..

Electrojim

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-2960
Unfortunately it uses a bit of all the colours when printing black, if it didn’t then when you go to print a colour document the head would be clogged from lack of use, its swings and roundabouts..

You’re on screen ink monitoring is only an approximate, it doesn’t truly measure how much ink is left.. Enjoy your printing..
Okay, thanks for that info. Sets my mind a bit more at ease over the choice of the Epson.