flushing and refilling CLI-8/PGI-5 cartridges

stevec

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have just obtained some once used empty Canon cartridges to refill with Precisioncolors ink. Flushing methods seem to involve drilling a hole in the top of the resevoir to let the flushing medium out then sealing it again with hotmelt. Refilling then by the German method. If I have to drill a hole in the resevoir top to flush why not refill through this hole as described in the paperwork supplied by Precisioncolors? Having examined a cartridge it would appear that the German method would involve pushing the needle through the sponge where it 'necks' into the ink exit hole. Is this harmful?
I believe that the dye based inks will flush easily but that the pigment ink will need more thorough flushing (especially if it is dry). I am aware of threads on here about sponge conditioning but just need some advise on flushing.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I flus without any holes, the air hole is enough to let ink escape from cartridge, but it's harder to flush this way. I fill using vaccum and don't want any holes in my carts. Perhaps it's just me.

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stevec: Well, i was in you position a few months ago, and i faced this same dilemma, as i had obtained my carts from a recycling bin, and they were dried out. You should flush all of your carts, especially your pigment blacks, as these can clog severely.

When i was flushing the carts, the dye colours flushed out quite easily, but the pigment black took a few repeated washings. I just drilled a small hole in the ink tank, connected a home-made device to the ink outlet port and flushed it with my hose outside. I flushed in both directions ( ie water in through ink port, out through drill hole, and water in through drill hole and out through ink port). There is a video of someone flushing a dye cart somewhere on the forums, but i cant remember where. You need to flush throughly, but dont use too high pressure, else the sponge may come dislodged.

I then filled a few syringes with distilled water, and flushed out the cart, pushing water throug the drill hole and out through the ink port. This was to ensure that no disoolved minerals remained in the cart, even though my water is pretty soft. After that, i filled the syringe with air, blocked off the air vent at the top of the sponge compartment, and pushed air through the cartridge, to push out the excess water. After that, i left it to dry for a few days untill it was bone dry (i didnt use the method of using a humectant / sponge conditioner).

To refill, i sealed off the ink exit port with the orange clip, and filled the ink tank. I then sealed it with hot glue. On hindsight, i would have been easier for me to seal the empty tank and then fill it via the durchstich / german method, and this is what i shall do for any more carts that i obtain.

As the carts were dry, i let the ink soak in and diffuse for a few days before i used them.
I have been using them in my IP3500 for a few months now, and i am very happy with the results.

I dont believe the durchstich method damages the sponge (or it damages it only an infinitismally small amount) as i have had no problems with ink leakage or print errors (but then again, i have only refilled it via the durchstich method 2 times). It is also so much easier when compared to the traditional method. If you want more advice, i believe there are a lot of threads on the forum concerning the effect of the needle on the sponge.

Good luck!

stevec

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Token,
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I shall search on the forum for the video you mention. I have all the tools for filling with both methods as well as two sets of empty cartridges. Maybe I'll try both.