Filling Canon refillable cartridges.

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
I used to use the German refillable method for refilling OEM carts but nowadays the only option seems to be refillable ARC carts. However, the refillable carts at first sight don't seem to be able to accept the same amount of ink as the OEM carts did with the German filling method. I top fill the refillable carts using a cartridge clip and the sponge part fills up really quickly. However, I am unable to fill the non sponge chamber fully without ink spillage even when the the plug is inserted. Are the refillable carts designed just to accept ink to the sponge, ie, is the same amount received as the OEM cart using the German method?
Not a great problem but just interested to find out if anyone has the answer

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
From my own experience with sponge cartridges (the time of the 525/526, abandoned long ago) and reading this forum:

- sponge carts were designed for one time use, even the most careful refill can't make them 100% as before (this is easier with some carts with a bag)
- Canon sponges are patented and no refillable or 3th party can offer the same functionality
- German method has the advantage against top filling that you don't risk leaks, but the needle can weaken the contact with the outlet sponge (tapping on the table after refilling could help)
- opaque carts make it impossible to judge the sponge saturation. You can circumvent this by meticulously refilling at the moment the ink chamber is empty (yellow warning) and top up to the exact weight. When you can't achieve this anymore the sponge is dry and need to be reconditioned.
- nevertheless OEM carts are more reliable than refillables. Sadly enough transparent OEM carts with the same dimensions as later opaque types are history, but you could transfer the ARC chips to (opaque) OEM's and see if this works better for you (flush, dry and recondition as described elsewhere).

Last edited:

Lelopes

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IX6810
From my own experience with sponge cartridges (the time of the 525/526, abandoned long ago) and reading this forum:

- sponge carts were designed for one time use, even the most careful refill can't make them 100% as before (this is easier with some carts with a bag)
- Canon sponges are patented and no refillable or 3th party can offer the same functionality
- German method has the advantage against top filling that you don't risk leaks, but the needle can weaken the contact with the outlet sponge (tapping on the table after refilling could help)
- opaque carts make it impossible to judge the sponge saturation. You can circumvent this by meticulously refilling at the moment the ink chamber is empty (yellow warning) and top up to the exact weight. When you can't achieve this anymore the sponge is dry and need to be reconditioned.
- nevertheless OEM carts are more reliable than refillables. Sadly enough transparent OEM carts with the same dimensions as later opaque types are history, but you could transfer the ARC chips to (opaque) OEM's and see if this works better for you (flush, dry and recondition as described elsewhere).
Sorry for reviving this, but just got my canon and I am trying to understand all of this. Could explain to me as like to a child? Lol.
Is it better to use refillable carts or to refil the OEM one even if the sponge is designed to use only once?
I am trying to decide if I should swap the chips from the OEM carts or just use the refillable one in my ix6810. (Can't find a resetter here)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Is it better to use refillable carts or to refil the OEM one
Thats the conundrum.. the refillable carts are so much easier to refill than the OEM carts, but they will not deliver sufficient enough ink to the print head after only one or two refills, in a nut shell they need special care and attention to maintain them in good condition.. (Not easy)

On the other hand OEM carts are the best by a country Kilometre and are very dependable, but if not filled properly they too will cause ink flow issues, you need to learn the proper refilling technique and stick to it like glue..

Question:- have you never considered switching to a pigment ink printer to solve all your longevity issue, either Canon or Epson..