Epson T0785. Does Light Cyan = Photo Cyan?

highmeadowhiker

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
With my Canon iP6700D, I have been using IMS LLC inks. Both Canon and IMS use the terms Photo Cyan and Photo Magenta.
I have not begun to use the Epson R280 I have just taken out of the box. The cartridges are labeled "Light Magenta" and "Light Cyan"

How close are the inks Epson calls "light" to the inks that seem to have worked just fine for me for a few years, labelled "Photo" ?

I would hate to be stuck paying for OEM cartridges.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Canon uses the term "photo" to mean the same thing that Epson means by "light".

However, it is not the best idea to use ink that is designed for Canon printers in Epson printers because they work on different technology. Canon boils the ink to make it expand and eject out of the nozzles and Epson uses a piezo electric transducer to mechanically pump the ink out.

Even if it is safe to put Canon ink in an Epson printer, you still have the issue of getting the correct color balance. I would get a bulk ink designed specifically for your printer.

highmeadowhiker

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I have more questions.

I have been using IMS,LLC inks for several years in my Canon iP6700D printer, and I have no complaints. The transparent cartridge is very convenient. I drill a hole appropriate to the supplied plugs, in the chip end of the cartridge, and fill it via a long very slender tube, which is rather like a hyperdermic syringe but not sharp at the end. Must take care, with gloves, etc., not to make a mess. but doable.

If I choose to refill the Epson cartridges, your reply indicates that I should purchase inks that are appropriate to the technology of the Epson R280 printer. Based upon your experience, which sources should I consider?

Second question: Given the opaque cartridge, how does the home refiller know how much ink to put in?

Lastly, what would be a good full description of the "German Method" for the Epson cartridges for someone who has never heard of it before?