Epson R280. How do I know when cartridge is full enough? Drill hole?

highmeadowhiker

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have been refilling my Canon iP6700D cartridges quite satisfactorily for several years, and greatly appreciate the transparent cartridge body, so I can eyeball the ink level, with no danger of overflowing. I use IMS, LLC kits, with plugs to plug the holes in the top that I drill. Of course, I have to disable the chip monitoring, which means that I have to remove cartridges and eyeball the ink levels before I start a run of printing contact sheets, but this is a satisfactory compromise with the expense of Canon-brand cartidges. I am getting satisfactory service from my Canon iP6700D.

Now, I want to start using my Epson R280 that I bought pretty much just to print labels on CDs and DVDs that I use to give to family members for sharing home movies and JPGs. Fussing with stick-on labels is becoming less and less fun, so I want to try printing directly to the matte white surface on the blank discs. At the rate I will probably use up ink printing labels for my home movies, slidshows, and JPG discs, I anticipate needing to refill the cartridges fairly soon.

Where do I drill the hole in the top? And how do I know when to stop squirting ink into the cartridge?