"Epson Printer Utility 4 cannot be launched"

Charles218

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm using my Epson SureColor P400 on my Mac with Big Sur (11.7.1), and I get the error "Epson Printer Utility 4 cannot be launched". According to MacRumors, the Epson Utility does not run on Big Sur. I can check ink levels, print test pages, etc. but I need to get into the utility to change the "Power Off Timer Setting". Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to proceed?

Charles218

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I may have found the problem, the printer driver. My Epson driver is version 9.80, this on my Mac running Big Sur, but I see on Epson's site that version 12.62 is available. I would like to update, but I know that there can be issues with firmware updates locking the printer when using third party inks. Is this true only for firmware updates, or is this also possible with driver updates? Might I risk locking the printer by updating the driver?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I may have found the problem, the printer driver. My Epson driver is version 9.80, this on my Mac running Big Sur, but I see on Epson's site that version 12.62 is available. I would like to update, but I know that there can be issues with firmware updates locking the printer when using third party inks. Is this true only for firmware updates, or is this also possible with driver updates? Might I risk locking the printer by updating the driver?
I wish I could give you a definitive answer on this but where MacOS is concerned I'm a total n00b. I'm not aware of any specific firmware updates incorporated into the drivers and while HP are actively pushing out those sorts of "improvements" I'm not convinced Epson is following suit via drivers so you may be okay.

The thing I would be looking out for was any indication in the small print agreements, etc... and options as you install the driver to see if there's any indication that it wants to "update" anything else.

Good luck!

Latest posts