Epson photo R800 CISS problems

hs5424

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi All,
This is my first post so please be patient.
I have been using a CISS from City Ink Express with my Epson photo R800 for many years with very good results. I have found dealing with this company very good as I purchased many kits for family and friends. My first problem with the r800 was the on screen notice informing me that parts inside the printer were at the end of their service life. I discovered this was due to the waste tank being full. I reset the counters and fitted an external waste tank (bottle) which restored normal operation. At the same time I purchased new refill inks from the same supplier, and from this point on I am having mixed results. The heads need frequent cleaning. I put this down to the fact that I am not using the printer as frequently in recent times. Sometimes a head clean procedure makes things worse so I opened up the unit and cleaned all pads etc. I have used a syringe and fluid method to flush out all the print heads which seems to work for a while. One thing that I just noticed is that on a photo that I printed about 9 months ago (which looked quiet good) the blacks have now changed. The blacks now appear 'negative' and look different depending on the angle that you view them at. This photo is on my desk so has seen daylight quiet a lot.
If you think the ink is my problem can you suggest a good type to use. If the printer is too old and tired then I would like advise and guidance on choosing a new one.
N.B. Fitting the external waste tank highlights how much ink you waste when running the print head cleaning utility. Its 'madness'.

Thanks in advance.
HS5424
Ireland.