Epson MP970 printing in spurious colours

skinnybloke

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson MP970
Hi - I have a Epson MP970 that has started printing in spurious colours regardless whether I am printing in colour or b/w mode.

I have tried cleaning, deep cleaning and changing cartridges but to no avail. Is my printer kaput.

Any help appreciated

See attached image for nozzle check prointout

Attachments

• nozzle-print.jpg
    nozzle-print.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 396

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have a Canon MP970 that produces a nozzle check similar to yours, but without the defects.

Sadly the missing exactly half of the test print stripes in some of the cyan, magenta and yellow test print shows that the print head has failed electronically.

Only a new print head might bring the printer back to working order, but when a Canon print head fails electronically there is a risk that it damages the logic board in the printer. A logic board that has been damaged by a defective print head can damage a new print head, so replacing the print head is a gamble, and sadly I cannot tell the odds for success.

The parts number for the print head is QY6-0062-010 if you want to search the web for one. Beware of refurbished print heads from the far east.

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
Hello,
look like Canon :)
Never mind.

That is strange, that b/w printing is bad. Is it on plain paper with duplex? What about printing single-sided on plain paper in b/w mode?

Magenta looks suspicions (I mean bad electronics). Yellow has some faint stripe on the top (general bad ink flow).
If I remember, someone managed to recover from similar fault by checking soldering on some motherboard connectors.

Ł.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Me too, it certainly looks like a Canon nozzle check, totally confusing.. :confused:
To me the heads look fried, but you continue to use it for text printing !

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Printing Text on plain paper should produce satisfactory text, all black, no colors. I agree, your print head has probably failed for color printing. Get a new print head if that makes economic sense.

skinnybloke

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson MP970
Hi Guys - thanks for the responses - it is a CANON MP970 not an Epson - Doh! Whoever moderates this thread may want to move this to the Canon forum.

In reply to questions above, the problem still exists when printing text using black inks only option.

Looking at the prices of printheads I think economically the best solution is to buy myself a new printer, something that has airprint which I've wanted for a while. This throw away consumer society in which we live!

Cant complain, I've had my money's worth out of the MP970