Epson L8180 (ET8550) no Ultra premium luster paper type

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
So what

I strongly doubt that these profiles are from real profiling...

There is no need for real profiling since it's the same base paper - just with a different surface structure.

simont

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-8500
I may agree, but then why providing all these profiles? Just give a glossy and a matte profile. Shouldn't a real measurement show at least a minimal difference? This is the case for instance for Canson RC paper profiles, Glossy vs Satin vs Luster. Very similar but not identical as EPSON's. This is clearly a copy-paste of the same file for some (again) weird commercial reason. And then at some point one carbon-copy-profile was left back without any corresponding paper type.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Shouldn't a real measurement show at least a minimal difference? This is the case for instance for Canson RC paper profiles, Glossy vs Satin vs Luster. Very similar but not identical
'mininal differences' - below visibility ? How would you differentiate between measuring tolerances and actual hue and saturation differences of your print ? You would have to print several copies of the target sheets and measure them several times and average all readings - there is a reason that the i1profiler software let you average the measuring results before you start the profiling calculations. But I see all that beyond the need for an individual user with one printer and a pack of this and that paper.

simont

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-8500
I agree with you. I'm not saying that it's mandatory to have a measured and carefully averaged profile for each paper, if the difference is below visibility. I would be pretty ok if only a single profile for glossy and alike were provided. It would also simplify printer settings. However, if they provide different profiles, I expect them, for clarity and transparency, to be real measurements, regardless of the amount of difference among them. These are clearly not, at least not all of them. One paper was measured (I hope) and then the profile was cloned, to support the idea that a lot of effort was put in characterizing the printer, This is not fair in my opinion.