Epson Claria printers and pigment inks

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have 2 Stylus Photo 1400 printers that I plan on using refills with, one photo enlargements and general printing (dye) and one for sign vinyl and t-shirt transfer printing (pigment). I'm still debating on a CIS or just refillable carts, especially since one of them (pigment) will be taken on the road to conventions for on-the-spot decals and t-shirt transfers. I flipped through the forum a bit and read through this thread:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3018

Have there been any new developments in using pigment inks in these printers? How about for the smaller Artisan printers that also use Claria inks? Most aftermarket companies still seem to completely reject the idea of using pigments in these printers. Cobra Ink seems to be the only one that explicitly sells a pigment system vs "well here's some parts and some pigment inks that "will sort of work" in the printer but you should really use a Workforce 1100 or an Epson that's actually built for pigment inks". I ran an R220 for a very long time with pigment inks and didn't even bother with a profile most of the time and the print quality was more than acceptable to me, but I've heard the 1400 needs a profile or it's completely off.