Epson C86 Magenta jet just won't print

warmnsunny

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Newbie here... my Epson C86 quit printing the magenta colour recently. I bought a new cartridge but it still isn't printing. I've run the nozzle check, cleaning etc but don't know how to do anything more serious.
Suggestions please!

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It's possible that the print head has totally emptied. Check the SCC software for your printer type you may be able to run cleans on the magenta only. There are a number of threads explaining unclogging Epsons including cleaning cartridges. and applying a solvent soaked tissue to the print head in the central position. You could try loading an image change the image to a red grey scale (Colour adjustment) and print at photo quality. This really exercises the nozzles and can get ink flowing again.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
warmnsunny said:
Newbie here... my Epson C86 quit printing the magenta colour recently. I bought a new cartridge but it still isn't printing. I've run the nozzle check, cleaning etc but don't know how to do anything more serious.
Suggestions please!
Welcome to Nifty-Stuff :)

You could try a cleaning cartridge for your C86 Magenta. They've worked for me.
Here's a vendor in the States that has them by G&G...you may be able to find them elsewhere:
http://www.printpal.com/epson_stylus_c86.html
Instructions are included.

I like to use a "prime page" of the appropriate color to exercise the problem head with the cleaning cartridge installed:
http://www.ink-refills-ink.com/InfoPages/1primepage.htm

Others will have different ideas.

Never leave an inkjet cartridge uninstalled from the printhead for longer than the few seconds it takes to replace it....

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
contact Arthur Entlich at e-printerhelp@mvps.org. ask him for his manual on cleaning Epson printheads. No charge, no spam, and he doesn't give anyone else your email address. He helps people with Epson problems on the the printer newsgroup.

warmnsunny

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for responding. I'll go back thru older threads and see what I can find.

In the meantime I tried printing a "magenta" page but got a yellow square instead. Does that suggest the wrong signal is getting to the printer?

warmnsunny

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just picked up the Arthur Entlich suggestion and I'll ask for his manual. Thanks.
Very frustrating not to be able to print out color!!

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Hi,

I've had the same problem with a C68 (magenta again), and it was resolved by 3-4 printhead cleanings.

Hope I was helpfull

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
With Epson printers it's all about keeping a good head of ink against the printhead. Once there is an air bubble, it stops printing. I guess I am a bit paranoid about it, my ink tank changes are something to behold. I have a spare waiting to be fitted. Out with the partially empty in straight away with its replacement. The printer does its prime and then I do a nozzle check.

I would have kittens if it stopped printing.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
It's also all about keeping the purge unit clean. This is easy to do by dropping a little bit of Windex with ammonia (or just distilled water) on the purge pads where the head parks. This keeps the tubing that sucks on the print head from getting clogged.