Epson c120 spitting out blank pages and saying there's a paper jam

Cansas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi. I searched the forum and couldn't find any threads addressing this particular problem, but it certainly looks like the people here know a lot about printers, so hopefully someone can help.

For no reason I can see, my printer suddenly stopped working tonight. It takes the paper and acts like it's about to start printing, but then spits out a blank page and says there's a paper jam (the paper jam light blinks then too). There is NOT a paper jam. In fact, since it's a top loader, it virtually never jams. The paper certainly looks like it's loaded correctly (I took the paper out and reloaded it about 10 times, it slides right into place and the sliding plastic guide thingy looks like it's in the right position). I'm using normal 20lb copy paper (it's pre-punched for a 3-ring binder, but I can't believe that would make a difference). I only have about 20 sheets in it, so it's not overloaded.

I'm absolutely positive it's not a software problem. I tried it with all three of my computers and it did the same thing.

My back-up printer died a few months ago, so I really need to fix this ASAP. There's absolutely nothing I can see wrong with it. The print arm moves back and forth freely and the rollers look like they're taking the paper properly up until they push it out blank. The problem isn't in the print heads; it never goes through the motion of printing. It actually behaves rather like it was told to print a blank page (except for the paper jam light coming on after).

I tried turning the printer off and back on, but that didn't make any difference either.

I'm very sure I can fix whatever the problem is if someone can give me some instructions. I run a business refurbishing Apple laptops. I've never repaired a printer, but it doesn't seem like it could possibly be very difficult compared to building an entire computer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I haven't heard of this issue but it's likely to be related to a sensor somewhere in the printer.

Your best bet is probably to call Epson support and ask if it's a known issue... Beyond that I'd see if there's any obvious parts that might be splashed with ink.. Also because you have holes punched in the paper, try some none punched stuff and see if that works. It could be that the printer is "seeing" through a hole somehow and getting confused.

greg10101

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the Epson C120, and found this thread when I googled the issue. I called Epson support, and websnail, you're right. The support tech said that the printer will not work with 3-hole punched paper because the paper sensor sees the hole and registers it as a jam. He said that it may occasionally work, but it will be unreliable. I asked him which consumer-grade model would work, and he said that he can't guarantee any Epson printer would work with punched paper, and that I might want to try another brand. (Yes, an Epson support tech told me to try a different brand printer). Seems rather dumb to make a printer that doesn't work with 3-hole punched paper. The old Epson that I was replacing worked fine with the punched paper, but apparently not the new ones.

I returned the printer to the store, and bought an HP. This one works great.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
greg10101 said:
I had the same problem with the Epson C120, and found this thread when I googled the issue. I called Epson support, and websnail, you're right.
Good grief... I'm stunned... Course my mother will never believe me ;)... thanks for feeding back.. useful to know.

Gorillamo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Greg10101,
I'm looking to replace my near-dead Epson C120 and saw your 5/09/2008 comment, "I returned the printer to the store, and bought an HP. This one works great."

Which HP did you buy?

Thanks,
Bill

ethervaughn

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
these are the problem occur while your printer got damage by dust. I have faced this problem before and it was bolt automatically.

mookiebee

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Don't return your Epsons! I found the answer regarding printing on 3 hole punch. It took about 20 minutes most of which was on hold but it's pretty easy to solve this problem. The sensor that sees the hole spits out the paper because it senses no paper in the tray. Feed the paper with the holes on the left hand side of the tray. Then go to START/PRINTERS AND FAXES/ right click on the ICON / PRINTING PREFERENCES / PAGE LAYOUT / at the bottom of page layout on the right click select ROTATE 180 Degrees. Voila! The first couple of times it didn't work but then everything worked just fine and I'm now printing 3 hole punch on my Artisan 700. Good Luck!

YellowRoseTexas

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
mookiebee said:
Don't return your Epsons! I found the answer regarding printing on 3 hole punch. It took about 20 minutes most of which was on hold but it's pretty easy to solve this problem. The sensor that sees the hole spits out the paper because it senses no paper in the tray. Feed the paper with the holes on the left hand side of the tray. Then go to START/PRINTERS AND FAXES/ right click on the ICON / PRINTING PREFERENCES / PAGE LAYOUT / at the bottom of page layout on the right click select ROTATE 180 Degrees. Voila! The first couple of times it didn't work but then everything worked just fine and I'm now printing 3 hole punch on my Artisan 700. Good Luck!
I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for this solution. It also works when you start to print, click Preferences/Page Layout - Rotate 180 degrees will be there also. (on mine it's at the top left ;) ) Worked like a charm!

I'm printing front/back, so I just have to remember to change the setting back when I reload the paper to print the back page. :)