Epson Artisan 800 install CD for Windows 7?

korny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Epson made a install CD including support for Windows 7 for Artisan 800?

Why do I ask:
well the software CD that came with this "new" printer" this past week (refurbished) came with an Epson CD that does not indicate being Windows 7 compatible. The catch then of course is that the bonus apps (that actually costs money) is not compatible, for example OCR:ing with ABBYY Fine Reader.

Downloading Epson's own core apps is not a problem (free downloads), but the 3rd party stuff is of course not downloadable. By "of course" I mean that I fully understand Epson paid to include the apps on the CD..

Hmmm, now after the fact, when I look on the specs (tigerdirect dot com where I bought it) I now notice that that they cleverly don't mention Windows 7 support... I think I understand why. They got me, didn't they? lol!

Anywhoo, anyone with ideas or tips? Did Epson make a newer CD for it? It's not the end of the world. And I do understand Epson's dilemma too...software is seldom free, someone always pays for it - in different "creative" ways...

korny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I *think* I can answer my own question now, after some digging..

I believe I'm supposed to call Epson and order a "replacement CD" by calling (562) 276-4367 and pay $9.95 for it.... I'll assume I get the latest version of the 3rd party apps on it...meaning Windows 7 supported versions.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

korny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
OK, so I'll correct myself....

Epson support sent me an email and let me know that I WIL NOT be able to buy newer version of the software CD. They would only sell me the sell me the old version.

Why I cared:
the most valuable component on the CD, in my mind, is "Abbyy Fine Reader" which I know is one of the best OCR engines out there. It generates very small pdf files, compared to others. You can scan, OCR and make small pdf files with a few clicks. I was hoping to get my hands on the Windows 7 version for Epson, but I guessed I lucked out...