Epson Artisan 730

Subarub4

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thinking about getting this to run along side my Canon i960 mostly because of the scanner and wireless, but it also takes a CIS well but I was wondering any issues using a CIS (I know about the notch and cover) and which inks work best?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Subarub4 said:
Thinking about getting this to run along side my Canon i960 mostly because of the scanner and wireless, but it also takes a CIS well but I was wondering any issues using a CIS (I know about the notch and cover) and which inks work best?
You can get most of the answers youre looking for from Leonardjohn, a contributor to this forum.
Try his email : - leonardholmberg@mac.com or his website: - contiuousinksystemcorp.com/

Subarub4

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well can you tell me this does Epson supply a new printer with full ink carts or starter carts?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Subarub4 said:
Well can you tell me this does Epson supply a new printer with full ink carts or starter carts?
I have no idea but saying that I havent heard of Epson starting that practice.
Again Leonardjohn I am sure will provide you will any answers that you may require.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Well the Epson Artisan 700-800 series never had starter cartridges, what the writers making those comments about the Artisan 700-800 series are fundamentally missing is what is different in this class of inkjet printer. There is a CISS system built into the printer itself...albeit a mini version. The in printer ciss system arrives empty and the tubes must be filled on startup. The capacity of the tubes leading from the cartridges (tanks) to the printhead actually uses between 30% to 35% of the capacity of the cartridges included. So after the initial setup, about one third of the cartridges that came with the printer is actually GONE. But is it used up? Heck no, it's sitting inside the tubes. A CISS for the Epson Artisan 700-800 series is so stupidly simple that you could really make one yourself if you really wanted to. You simply making a siphon system to the cartridges and that's it. There is no magic or anything to it wit this class of printer. You are simply extending the tanks beyond the printer internals. Any talk of pressure balance etc etc....belongs in the same category as Artisans coming with Starter cartridges.

So be careful of what you read on the internet. There is one caveat with these printers. If you are sloppy about installations and details, you can be bitten hard. The Artisan series are wonderful machines and quite reliable for a good owner. If they run out of ink or get abused or get clogged from abuse, they are monsters to restart working properly. That is the untold side. I have successfully unclogged these machines before and patience in the order of over a week of attempts and slow progress is required...and that is even armed with knowledge of how they work. For the novice, the methods required would be a challenge. The usual methods you read about don't work. All major movements on these printers are driven by a host of micro motors.

Subarub4

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I used to use a Epson C40 so I know what you mean by being hard to restart, but I was thinking about not using a CISS with the 730 but use refillable carts because it easy to use when on the go and when on the road