Epson 835 with CIS problem

tcool93

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone can help me with this or not, but I have a problem with the printhead on my Epson 835 printer. I am using a CIS with this printer, and have been for months now.

I don't know if its clogged, or just something else causing it. But when I do nozzle checks, for example with the black color, it usually will be missing many parts of the test print, sometimes missing all of the print, sometimes the lines are crooked, then there are random times when it prints the entire pattern perfectly fine.

Its doing this also with each color now, but the black is the most affected.

I'm debating on whether to order a $10 printhead cleaner (that uses a syringe to inject it into the line), or just use the money towards a new printer. It just seems weird though, if it was a clog, you think it would stay clogged and not constantly change. Its like its random each time.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Make sure you don't have the air inlet filters soaked with ink...remove them to make sure
Check that none of the lines or tubes are squeezed or kinked as that could prevent ink from flowing.
Finally, whenever there are nozzle checks with the horizontal lines heading off randomly non horizontally or jagged, the ink properties are suspect. It could then be either ink that is getting old or improper ink....

tcool93

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I've been working on this since then. The air filters did look like they have ink in them.

I also had ordered some $5 printhead cleaner, which seems to have cleared up the random nozzle check pattern. The problem I still have now though is a certain shade of black seems to be spraying ink.

For example, here is the picture I printed:

And here is a scan of how it looks after printed on my printer, using plain paper (ignore the tinted colors, thats the fault of my scanner) But you can see the spray pattern of ink.

tcool93

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I think its fine now. I don't see that same spray pattern if I print on glossy photo paper. I may have just been using too high a setting for regular plain inkjet paper.

Thank you for your reply.