EPSON 3880 in Hibernation - STILL!!

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
In June this year with advice and help from this forum I put my R3880 in hibernation whilst I made some superficial changes to the Study/ Photo nook.......Five months later and counting I am still trying to work around competing work instructions from the Boss, at the same time being berated for never finishing anything I start............hence the New Epson is still just sitting there waiting on us going do some printing.

As per advice I do a weekly ( well mostly weekly!!) nozzle check. and that is it. I have become so confident in the results that I hardly give them a second look, that is till this week end. One of the gray squares was a tad light, and that caught my eye (this time). I make a point of filing the results in order next to the printer and dating them so I can keep tabs on its health.
The last one two weeks ago showed the same result and I missed seeing the fault.

Again thanks to the advice herein, instead of doing an immediate panic and hitting the Forum HELP line I did another nozzle check, for the same result....So following advice I did a Power Clean expecting to see my inks fatally deminished and my waste ink tank overflowing. The power clean took some time and sounded like a herd of elephants having a group tummy rumble. My ink levels hardly moved and the waste tank registered zip. Best news is I cleared the problem, so I did another 4 nozzle checks just to do some flow through the print head.

For comparison for others who may be interested I am in Australia, its Spring and we are getting alternate hottish and rather cool days but overall its not too humid. In addition I am in an upstairs room that has LARGE windows in all four walls three of which get direct sun from about 9am to 7pm at this time of the year. As it seems that relative humidity has a bearing on clogs I am assuming that its getting dryer and so it would be smart to do a printed nozzle check at least every other day.

I am in hopes that this information is of assistance to someone out there, as I value the help and support available here.

Cheers,

Andrew

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I don't have a definitive optimum plan for keeping ink waste to a minimum but I'd assume worst case and go with printing a nozzle check as per your suggestion, and if possible something more significant every week or so.

After all, you'll use less ink that way than you'll need to use to draw in the hairs when you lose them trying to clear clogs ;)

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I dont think there IS an optimum plan to manage clogs. Users are scattered all over the World in a variety of conditions, that change with the seasons anyway. Hence I gave a snapshot of my environment.
Your thoughts on a 'print' is much to my liking........silly me I got fixed in my head that my computers are not set up ergo no image printing......I am typing this on a laptop that has Lightroom on it...................:he

Thanks,

Andrew