Do inkjets take a backseat to Photolabs>

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Quite often many think that printing picturs with an inkjet produces an inferior picture to that done in a "lab" or store.

This can be interesting reading and food for thought as there still remains unused potential for the inkjet if a proper profile was used.

http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/news.47.html

It's a long article but informative.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You'd be surprised just how many labs simply use oversize commercial inkjets. Once you take the picture digitally there's almost no point going to get the picture printed by an optical based system, especially because the resolution seems to suffer. Print life of properly archived prints seems to rival that of optical based prints. Also I find that photos printed by the "labs", at least the drug store ones may be printed on decent paper but the color doesn't seem as accurate as when I print on my printer which is calibrated by profile prism. Maybe my local drugstore guy uses refills on an uncalibrated system? Plus when I look at the photo with a loupe I see the ink droplets aren't as fine as my Canon's 1 pico liter droplet size so color gradients are grainier.