Dell Inkjet 720 suggestion?

Relmore

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Dell Inkjet 720

won't print color at all, and the black text printing has horizontal lines through the text. Text also appears gray/faded unless I change the preferences to print to "Best Quality" and it takes 15x as long to print.

info:

-I have run the nozzle self-cleansing utility 3 times with not much (if any) improvement.
-replaced the black ink cartridge
-gf who owns printer says she just replaced color cartridge not long ago and has barely printed anything.
-dell printing software shows that both ink cartridges are nearly full. I believe this to be correct.
-unistalled printer and re-installed latest drivers from dell's website.
-shared printer on network to print from a different computer. same problem: faded gray and no color.
-printer is 2 years old and is used under normal to light conditions as far as jobs printed.
-reconnected usb cable to ensure there was no faulty connection.
-tested a different usb cable and same results.

And finally, (I hope I can say this as least-confusing as possible)

-after i re-installed the drivers from Dell's website, I am no longer able to use the windows "print test" job from the locally connected machine. I receive the error: Test page failed to print. Would you like to troubleshoot? operation could not be completed.

I have no problems sending a windows test page from a machine printing through the network (uses same drivers) nor do I have any problems sending any other local printjobs to the printer or from a network machine. the dell print test sends fine from the locally attached pc. it just does not print correctly and there is of course, no color.

I thought I would include the last bit of information because it seems a little odd.

Any ideas on how to get this bad boy up and running again?
Thanks in advance.