Dell 948 need help

georgeaux

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
...g'day , I've pulled off the tag from the top of the black cartridge (series 11 part no.KX701)...there are two holes , one is in the centre with what looks like a white plug...the other hole is towards the top end at the end of a suiggly line engraved in the surface. Which is the correct hole to refill ?
...thank very much in advance.

InkSaver123

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks! Great help on that topic! Could you offer some insight into how to fill the KX703 color ink cartridge for the same printer? The same "squiggly line" is visible on the top and there are no holes. I burned a hole into the spot that you recommended on the KX701.

The top of the KX703 cartridge is actually opaque. If you look very closely - shining a bright light on it - you can see the the cartridge seems to be broken into 6 compartments, all about the same size. It's basically 2 columns by 3 rows. Since there are two columns, I cannot burn the holes directly in the middle (left to right) as there is a wall there between the columns. I'm not sure if that helps.

Thanks again!

petersonryanace

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Alright, I gave in and busted open my Series 11 KX703 color cartridge to figure out how to refill it. As Inksaver pointed out there are six columns which ultimately lead into three ink wells the bottom two (next to the cartridge head) are magenta, the upper right two are yellow and upper left two are cyan. Each well has one sponge in it that soaks up the ink. Each of the six columns has a hole predrilled in the center of it just below the top layer of plastic (about 5/16" from the left and right edge and 1/4" from the top and bottom and 1 3/16" (midway) from the top and bottom for the center two holes).

When I do it again (with a new cartridge since this one is busted), I'd drill three holes, one lower right and the two center holes, push the metal syringe down into the foam about midway and inject each of the foams with new blood. If someone else tries let me know how it goes. Hope this helps.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
You will want to get the needle to the bottom of the foam or else you risk an air pocket which will not allow ink flow. The cartridges need to be filled from the bottom up.

InkSaver123

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks so much! After one year and 3 weeks of printing in black-and-white, I'm going to make this work!!!