clogged CL-41 printhead

rex_IP1600

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a Canon IP1600 printer which uses a PG-41 and CL-41 cartridge. I refill both cartridges as soon as they get empty (got the refill method in this forum). :D

My first CL-41 clogged its printhead after about 10 refills. No amount of Cleaning and Deep Cleaning could clear the clogged nozzles. I gave up on the effort when Cleaning/Deep Cleaning methods adds more clogged nozzles.

So I bought a new CL-41 cartridge. But same thing happened after more than 10 refills, the printhead was clogged again. And doing Celaning/Deep Cleaning numerous in desperation resulted to more clogged nozzle. :(

I noticed that it's always the MAGENTA color that is clogged for both cartridge. Based on the nozzle test, the clogging problem always shows on the "fine/light print band" of the Magenta. :/

I'm on the point of buying a new CL-41 cartridge. But before I do that...

Can anyone help/show/instruct me on how to clear these clogged nozzles? :| Thanks.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
rex_ip 1600

I have been refilling this type of cart for almost a year now and have never had a clog. I would suspect the cause to be the ink you are using, can you try another source ? . I am not using "special" ink , any ink in the little refill kits, 30ml bottles, usually with a bottle of flush as the 4th bottle. ( I do wait until they are on special at half price though !. )

As to unclogging your head I would try the following:-

1. Extract offending color sponge and rinse thoroughly under a running tap/faucet until clear.
2. Fold a paper Kitchen towel portion into several thicknesses and place the sponge between and press until dry.
3. Use the damp paper towel to lightly clean the sponge compartment , (do not "scrub" the towel on top of the mesh covering the ink exit to the nozzles).
4. Return the sponge to it`s respective compartment , (note the depression where it sat on top of the mesh grille).
5. Inject Flushing Liquid into sponge until almost full , replace into machine , run machine via 2 or 3 cleaning cycles plus a print job using a picture , (you may wish to put a spot of ink into the sponge so you can see that nozzles are printing ok, or not, albeit lightly).
6. Carry out a nozzle check. If all looks promising, extract sponge and carry out cleaning under tap again , but this time recharge with full strength (NEW SOURCE !) ink.
7 Carry out a program clean plus a nozzle check to confirm all ok.

If the clog persists , the perhaps its time for a new cart to be fitted, but i would certainly try another source of ink when refilling.
These are just my suggestions , please let us know how you finally resolve it , especially if you successfully amend any of the points. I cannot recommend which ink to use or a proprietary Flush liquid , I am sure others can if you get stuck .

ps. After re-reading your post I have just carried out a nozzle check on my MP 150, the light magenta bar is very slightly streaky , (compared to the other bars) , but its been like that for a long time , without any great detriment to the performance, in my opinion.

Good Luck !

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
probably slight streaky = kogation and damaged printhead chambers

you have been printing with ink starvation issues. Maybe you should try flushing/cleaning the whole cartridge after refilling 6 times. The next round with a new cartridge you'll probably pass the 10 times with ease.

At this point try cleaning the printhead with isopropyl alcohol. Put it on a qtip and dab it onto the printhead. Then clean like headphonesman suggested.