Clean & Store used Canon print head

bdart

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
First, I want to say that this forum is AWESOME I have learned a ton already today looking through the forum

I have a couple of questions:
1. I have a Canon i9900 that recently refused to turn on, and the local Canon authorized service shop says the logic board is fried, and that part is no longer available, which didn't make me very happy,:( but when that part was available it was close to $250 anyway, more than I want to spend. Are there any feasible repair solutions for this problem? I did try reloading the printer driver on my computer while the printer was connected, as I read on another forum sometimes it will "reboot" this way, but still dead. I also know it isn't the snap in AC adaptor, as I bought one of those from canon first, but no luck. Fortunately they were willing to let me return that part.

2. Canon offered to sell me a new Pixma Pro 9000 to replace it for $300 plus my old logic board (?). After a quick e-bay search turned up plenty of 9000's for less than $300, so I bought one from a local guy who got it as part of a camera/printer bundle and paid $250 for a new sealed in box unit. :) While reading this forum, I learned that my old i9900 and the new 9000 share the same print head, so I thought I would pull the print head and keep it as a spare part for the new one. I thought I would need to flush any ink out of the print head before it dried, so I flushed it with water repeatedly from top and bottom under the faucet. I then wondered if that was the best thing to do, and wondered if I should have flushed it with alcohol, or if I should rinse it now with alcohol before the water dries up.

Thank You In Advance for ANY advice

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
If you know how to remove the print head without turning on the power remove it then try to power on the printer again. Sometimes it is a defective print head (short inside) that prevents the printer from powering up. If without the print head the printer can be powered up the print head is proven defective. Maybe the print head wasn't plugged in properly and the connection causes a short of power lines. Reinstalling the print head may be all you need to fix it.

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
bdart:

Apparently you've been able to remove the i9900 print head without power to the printer. If the Canon service shop says the logic board is fried, I would not waste time with the old printer. Maybe the service shop can use it if storage space is a problem. I think it's a great idea to keep the print head since your newly acquired Pixma Pro 9000 takes the same head. Others may warn you against trying it out in your new printer if you really don't know its condition. If you've cleaned it out as you described by flowing warm water in both directions through the print head, I would merely let it set on a few layers of paper towels to ensure that most water is wicked out. Forget about flushing it with alcohol or any other fluid. Store it until which time you may need it. That's the time to worry about its condition. The chances of the head being a potential source of future trouble is just another calculated risk most reasonable people are willing to take.