Clean and no nonsence app for resizing colorcharts.

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Is there a no nonsense resizing/cutting program for use with TIFF-color charts - that is being sure no profiles are attached.

You know like Adobe Color Printing Utility (ACPU) - where you don't have to sit thinking if you did the right thing - not destroying your charts with unwanted or forgotten profiles..

Saving time and worries that is - just right on - not going through all the necessary settings in PS or LR. In that way also not touching or reresetting your favorite settings in your main photoapps.

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Answer mysef...

Found it - Qimage - if You simplify the interface and you are stubborn.

I have a hate-relation to that program. Every time when I wanted use it, that program wanted to "auto crop" all my pics, whatever I did. Wherever I searched for that d.mned setting - I did not find it. So that program was far down on my list. It is still because of that.

But by googling I found other fellows that also had pulled their hair in the same desperation.

Now, it's a god "printing-help"-prog for my other printer apps - with, as they say some wonderful resizing functions etc that I do not need.

But as for a printing aid - its a fine program -especially for printing calibration charts. The profile handling is clear and easy to understand.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Which version of Qimage are you referring to ?

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yesterday it was Qimage ultimate from around june last year. Just updated it for free to version Ultimate v2017.118 yesterday. I will now use it as a Rolls-Roys Adobe Color Printer Utility (ADPU).

I feel sometimes I get too much when buying a program - here it takes some time to be friend with it's interface and thousands of overkill-buttons and settings not knowing always what global effect is going to be. Good if one has plenty of time and find it amusing.
If I had it five years ago - I would be impressed - not now. It's better to be very good in one program (PP-LR)than half-good on several others.

But as I said earlier - I have learnt that it is god app for taking care of the real printing-apps as you can have a library of presetting for paper-ink-and printers.
But in the end it's still the RIP or the factory-app that's doing the real printing-job - and they also have libraries for different printing jobs. As I never go above A2 size in width and shoot FF - I seldom have to have heavy interpolating algorithms for upsizing. However I'll try Qimage on heavily cropped parts of a photo. I think it must be great for "birders" trying other resizing technic/interpolating, not offered by others.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Qimage - you are right - that software needs some adjusting to it. Autocropping on/off is an option in the size option window
Qimage .jpg

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I have been using Qimage almost since its inception. However, I fully understand what you are saying and, for the most part, agree with your comments.

Realistically, I have yet to find a more useful and versatile piece of software for serious printing. Theoretically, it would be useful to any member of this site doing a large amount of differing print layouts or formats. To provide some perspective my comments are:

Sure the interface is "quirky" - my word, or "an abominable mess" - a friend's words. It does not follow the WINDOWS conventions, so takes a bit of time to learn. Once you master the essentials it gets easier and more versatile. It is worth persevering.

The same comments could be made about Lightrooms and Photoshop. Because they are now household names, and arguably the only game in town at the moment, nobody finds it a problem and usually they suck-up the complexities without complaint. Probably also because there are bigger AZdobe problems to deal with than minor interface details.

I feel sometimes I get too much when buying a program

WOW - This is a problem? Usually, I feel the exact opposite. Purchase a piece of software to find the extravagant claims of the publisher are more an exercise in fiction writing than verifiable fact.

It's better to be very good in one program (PP-LR)than half-good on several others.

PS-LR is not an easy program or interface to learn or use. I sometimes feel its main strength is providing a revenue stream for third party tutorial publishers. There is no comparison with the relative simplicity of Qimage.

But in the end it's still the RIP or the factory-app that's doing the real printing-job

I am pretty sure Qimage uses the specific printer's native drivers - hence its relative small size and simplicity. :(

Any RIP properties would increase the size, complexity, and price by several orders of magnitude.

Although lightly publicised Qimage has a support site at:

http://www.ddisoftware.com/tech/
http://www.ddisoftware.com/tech/
Usually, you will get a response within 24 hours from Fred in the Florida sunshine, Or Terry the Brit who regales us in North America with the simplicity and elegance of his metric calculation. If they cannot solve your problem, then Mike the owner and publisher will attend to it. Also has a suggestion page for new features. Honestly it is hard to beat.

My fear is that one day, Google, Apple or somebody like that will send the Brink's truck to buy it all up and destroy the product. Just like Google did with NIK software.

Of course all my personal opinion. Anyone is free to disagree. Slow snowy day in Ottawa. Freezing rain and ice pellets to follow. Life is good in the great white north.

rs

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
He He!

Simplicity is gold!

When You are an real expert - everything is simple.

But it all starts with either becoming an expert - or simply paying the expert, to make it simple!

Not?