CISS Grays are turning out reddish-purple. Need help please.

xblackmao

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Workforce 1100
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I just switched to CISS (purchased from PrintPayLess) for my Epson Workforce 1100 printer. I am trying to print gray-scale photos for a project, and the gray is turning reddish-purple on me.

I have done 4 nozzle checks and at least 3 head cleanings. They all came out fine. When I try to print out anything that's not black, it doesn't come out right. Here is a photo of some squares I printed out from 100% opacity to 45% opacity (and an extra row).

Black_Gray.jpg

Here is an example of my gray-scale photo. (The one on the right is the CISS at a 50% opacity, and the one on the left is the original Epson ink at a 100% opacity.)

Black_Gray2.jpg

Can anyone help?

Update (July 2, 2014 3:33PM):
When I check the Black and White print, it comes out a neutral black. When I print it without checking the Black and White box, it comes out the same. (How can I get it neutral when I want to print the black and white photo with other colored items in it?)

Last edited:

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Welcome to the issue of color management and color profiling!

The inkset used by the OEM is different than the CISS. Printing grayscale on most printers does not use black ink exclusively when the driver is printing grayscale and color prints. Instead, the printer driver mixes the color inks to achieve grey on some driver settings.

Printing grayscale without a color-cast using color inks can be VERY demanding.

Then let the satisfactory grayscale print dry, AND SEND IT THROUGH THE PRINTER AGAIN for adding color-only elements...

xblackmao

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Workforce 1100
Oh, I see. That is definitely one way to deal with this. Thank you.

I also tried printing it as photo paper semi-glossy and photo paper glossy on regular printing paper to test out the colors. The blacks are more neutral that way, but those are very pricey methods even if CISS helps save money on ink.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
the Workforce 1100 or B1100 does have "shades of grey" capabilities by exchanging all colors in to shades of grey.