CISS Cartridge Fixes

Have you ever had any of these problems before?

• Yes, and I fixed it too!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I only buy good printers.

• Maybe, but I just returned/replaced the printer.

• Other - reply!

• Total voters

Ariel the Office Clerk

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON WF-3540
So I have just today managed to get my CISS system working on my EPSON4530, and so I thought I'd share what I did to solve my MANY problems. If anyone knows a better fix to any of my printer's issues, feel free to share! I'm ALL ears.

What set the whole thing off was the Magenta cartridge not being recognized. I've just now fixed that by following the suggestions found in this article. Very helpful, and step 3 at the bottom of the page did the trick.

I actually just got the printer with the system from someone else, and as I was pretty sure that the CISS wasn't hooked up correctly from what I had previously read online, I decided to also go through and make sure all the cartridges were primed. That set off the other two major problems.

1) First, when I primed my yellow ink, I found out the cartridge leaked. I wasn't able to isolate where exactly, because it seemed to seep out from up in the bottom area where there's open space that I can't really see up in. If you've seen the big CISS cartridge for my printer's model, you'll know what I'm talking about. Probably.
Anyway, I ended up reversing the flow of the ink so that it would drain back into the reservoir, and then I plugged the air hold and clipped the line so that it wouldn't refill. Currently that cartridge is sitting behind the printer and has been replaced by a normal cartridge. Disappointing, but I'll deal.

2) When I primed my black, all seemed well until I set it back sideways so that I could click it in the printer, and ink started welling out of the back. It's that bit with the ball bearing and gasket. I know because it exploded out at me once, and I'm thinking that I didn't get it put in quite right, so if anyone wants to enlighten me on the inner bits of that, I would appreciate knowing whether or not I'm missing something.
To fix that, I plugged up the airhole on the reservoir and used my syringe to pull ink out of where it was leaking. As I understand it, I've built up negative pressure in the reservoir and cartridge. Since no air can come in the reservoir anymore, and the gasket and ball bearing prevents it from sucking in air though ink can leak out, the suction from the air pressure effectively holds the ink back. As I understand it.

And that's it basically. The priming of the magenta and cyan went smoothly, and it's printing beautifully now. I realize I'll have to manually fill the black cartridge now be opening up the air vent in the reservoir and letting it fill, hopefully being able to re-plug in before it makes to much of a mess. That should do me each time and is manageable hassle.

If this solves any problems you have or if you have a better solution, please let me know in a reply.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
A laser printer is a better solution, just don't expect photo quality, unless that's what you are after...