chips being manufactured?

brendo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all,
Firstly im new here so hello to everbody!
i was just looking here http://www.inkjetsaver.com/cli-8.html and noticed they have "extensively tested new replacement cartridges for both the PGI-5 Black and the CLI-8 colors. Reliable chips are now in production and New Replacement cartridges for these printer models will be available very soon." Does anyone know anything about this? Im very curious to know if this is true or have I misinterpreted it? any replies appreciated

Cheers,
Brendo

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Nope... not heard a word and I would have expected to hear something by now if there were anything.

Couldn't swear to it but I'd guess it's a bunch of porky pies (lies)... but it'd be nice to be wrong ;)

brendo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:
Nope... not heard a word and I would have expected to hear something by now if there were anything.

Couldn't swear to it but I'd guess it's a bunch of porky pies (lies)... but it'd be nice to be wrong ;)
Thanks for the reply,
I think alot of people are hoping that they break it(chips) i would moreso like a chip resetter than compatibles, but if it were true then hopefully its a step in the right direction. I have never heard of this company that claims to have them thats why ive come to ask you guys!

thanks again,
Brendo

Adamj

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I also believe they are lies to get people to purchase their products, other sites have been saying the samething about chips being available very soon but nothing came of that.

brendo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Adamj said:
I also believe they are lies to get people to purchase their products, other sites have been saying the samething about chips being available very soon but nothing came of that.
yeah i wouldnt buy them untill i knew that they were gunuine and had been tested by various users. How is it legal to do that though?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
You're not far wrong Adamj but I suspect that part of the reason for companies saying "coming soon" is a bit more complex than that...

It seems to consist of:
- wanting to keep the customers happy and hopeful (nobody likes to tell their customers "NO!")
- being told "soon" by their own suppliers who are hopeful and scared that they too will lose their own bulk customers
- wishful thinking
- outright marketing BS...

Aside from anything else I wouldn't be surprised if nobody is willing to stick their heads out for fear of being targeted for legal action by Canon especially given that Epson are forging new ground at the moment.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
" especially given that Epson are forging new ground at the moment" What grounds are Epson forging right now. I know they have gone after some compatibles mfrs. But a couple questions.
1. On what basis has been their lawsuits? Mechanical or Electronic? Chip?
2. They have just introduced a trio of new printers that use new inks "Claria" with claimed speeds that would make a Canon jealous. Does anybody know if their new chips are breaking new ground yet as well? I guess six months from now we'll know.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I went to Fry's today in the middle of the last long weekend before summer ends. I was very surprised to see a completely empty hallway next to shelves where printers were displayed. Well, there were a lot of HP and Epson priners still on the shelves. but not Canon. Despite that there was a Canon sales rep there. So I chatted with him for a minute. I found out that the entire Fry's had not a single ip4200 nor ip5200 in stock. Actually theer was not a single Canon printer I would consider purchasing. I asked the Canon rep what he was doing there if they had no good printers during the 3 day weekend. Well, he blamed Fry's for not stocking them up. That's of course was not true. I had been to Fry's for the past two weeks there was never a single ip4200 nor ip5200 available, except a demo unit not for sale.

As I have always found. Canon has done an extremely poor job in marketing. I saw people hauling Epson and HP printers to the checkout area but there were no good Canon printers stocked. Well, they have been pushing the sale of ip6210 and ip6220. These printers are like HP's with build-in print head on the cartridges. I wish them good luck really. This is a proof that it isn't Fry's not stocking up good Canon printers. It is Canon pushing them to sell 6210 and 6220. What a stupid idea it is. They might sell some but most of the sales go to HP and Epson as a result.

Well, why am I talking about this on this thread? There is a reason. If Canon is not selling ip4200, ip5200 and a few other models using CLI and PGI cartridges why bother to get the chip resetter? If Canon is abandoning printers using PGI and CLI cartridges why would any one want to break the chip to make compatibles? It seems Canon's move into CLI and PGI is doomed already. If there are no ip4200, ip5200 and there are no printers that will take thir place will PGI and CLI cartridges be around any longer? I doubt it. We may soon discover there will be no need to get the resetter any more.

brendo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hpnetserver said:
I went to Fry's today in the middle of the last long weekend before summer ends. I was very surprised to see a completely empty hallway next to shelves where printers were displayed. Well, there were a lot of HP and Epson priners still on the shelves. but not Canon. Despite that there was a Canon sales rep there. So I chatted with him for a minute. I found out that the entire Fry's had not a single ip4200 nor ip5200 in stock. Actually theer was not a single Canon printer I would consider purchasing. I asked the Canon rep what he was doing there if they had no good printers during the 3 day weekend. Well, he blamed Fry's for not stocking them up. That's of course was not true. I had been to Fry's for the past two weeks there was never a single ip4200 nor ip5200 available, except a demo unit not for sale.

As I have always found. Canon has done an extremely poor job in marketing. I saw people hauling Epson and HP printers to the checkout area but there were no good Canon printers stocked. Well, they have been pushing the sale of ip6210 and ip6220. These printers are like HP's with build-in print head on the cartridges. I wish them good luck really. This is a proof that it isn't Fry's not stocking up good Canon printers. It is Canon pushing them to sell 6210 and 6220. What a stupid idea it is. They might sell some but most of the sales go to HP and Epson as a result.

Well, why am I talking about this on this thread? There is a reason. If Canon is not selling ip4200, ip5200 and a few other models using CLI and PGI cartridges why bother to get the chip resetter? If Canon is abandoning printers using PGI and CLI cartridges why would any one want to break the chip to make compatibles? It seems Canon's move into CLI and PGI is doomed already. If there are no ip4200, ip5200 and there are no printers that will take thir place will PGI and CLI cartridges be around any longer? I doubt it. We may soon discover there will be no need to get the resetter any more.
Im not so sure, personally i think the chips are going to be with us for a while. Wether we like it or not:(

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well, we can argue the toss about this but ultimately it'll all come down to time..

As my mum used to say... "Take a pill and wait 7 days to get better or just take nothing and recover in a week"...

We shall see.