Capacity of cli-8 and Pgi-5 cartidges

Tabriz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I would be most grateful if anyone can advise the capacity in ml of these cartriidges.

regards
Tabriz

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
CLI-8 is about 14 ml. PGI-5 is about 25 ml.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
My search on google shows multiple hits that say 13 ml for CLI-8 and 26 ml for PGI-5.

Although this may seem a trivial difference, it is not when considering the cost of ink amongst other things. I am trying out Inkmon5 ink monitoring application and part of setting it up is inputing the capacity of the cartridge in ml's.

Where did you get your numbers?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I refill my PGI-5 and CLI-8. That's how I got the numbers. I could have refilled with 13 ml but I stopped at 12 ml without refilling more ink into it. I believe I felt 12 ml is about right so I stopp at there. Same to the PGI-5. I could have filled more but I stopped at 25 ml.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Chances are that if you are refilling you're probably going to do so at a time when the ink monitors are no longer working and there is still residual ink in the sponges. As a result, the stated capacities will differ from what it takes to refill. It's not a good idea to try and get to empty by observing print quality because by the time quality degrades, potential heater damage within the head is a distinct possibility.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
So the spongeless side of the CLI-8 cartridge holds up to 12 ml and the PGI-5 holds up to 25ml leaving a 1ml reservoir of ink in the sponge in OEM cartridges?

I'll bet some refiller has tried to find out how much fluid can be stored just in the spongeless side.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Stratman, that's not what I meant. I have two sets plus a few spares of CLI-8 and PGI-5 carts. I purged all of them and dried the sponge before refilling the first time. I got some of them (except my own set) from a recycle bin at work and some from friends. I did the purge to make sure they will work after refilling. I found CLI-8 will take 12 - 13 ml. If I inject more than 13 ml it would appear too much ink in the sponge. For PGI-5 25 ml seems to be just about right. But if I kept on filling the cart might take as much as 30 ml. The sponged chamber would be too full.

Mikling, how did you get the idea that I try to get to empty by obersving print quality?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Tin Ho it was meant as a generality, that one should not squeeze every last drop. But as you stated, you can refill and put more in than what Canon originally put, so the question was vague and not specific to it's intended purpose.