Canon's policy on the use of third-party inks

Soporose

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
In my quest to separate truth from fiction I've come across this statement (or something very like it) several times, but can't find out for sure if it is really attributable to Canon:

"Canon does not prohibit the use of third-party inks. The use of third-party inks does not invalidate the product's Limited Warranty. However, Canon's Limited Warranty does not cover damage caused to Canon's Bubble Jet products which is attributable to the use of third party parts or supplies, including inks. The Limited Warranty remains in force for its life once that particular damage has been properly repaired."

Can anyone shed any light? I have a storm brewing with a repairer.

TIA
- Billy

Desoya

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Id ask the repairer to prove that your inks resulted in printer failure. You can reference http://www.magnusonproducts.com/magnusonmoss.htm but its wording is more to auto work.

The fact of the matter is they cant void your warranty based just on you not using the over priced parts they demand that you use.

Sadly some will, either try or do it, or do nothing. Id try and make them prove that your inks caused the problem.

Good luck.

Des

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
A very similar quote is from the User Manual for the Canon BJC-4300 which you can download by going to this link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndex1Act&fcategoryid=103

Search on BJC-4300 and select the Download Library for the BJC-4300. Click on Product/Software Manuals. Click on the BJC4300_user_manual.pdf link. You'll see the quote on page 3 of the first chapter.

Canon's policy has not changed but the wording is different. If you go to the same link above and select any of the current printers, and then go to the Support link along the right side of the page and select Support & Service and then select Warranty Terms under Service & Repair, you can read this:

This limited warranty covers all defects encountered in normal use of the Product and does not apply in the following cases:

(b) Use of parts, media, software or supplies (other than those sold by Canon USA), including non-Canon ink cartridges or refilled ink cartridges, that cause damage to the Product or cause abnormally frequent service calls or service problems.

I interpret this to mean that if Canon can prove that your printer was damaged by the use a third-party cartridge or refilled Canon cartridge, then they will not cover that damage under warranty, but if you pay for the repair you can maintain warranty coverage if you continue to use only Canon ink. Sounds fair and legal to me.