Canon Pixma MP970 sticker/self adhesive type paper recommendation?

Clevo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hehe..it was hard to give a despcriptive consise title for my problem. I hope I can explain it better now.

Just purchased the Canon Pixma MP-970. Haven't had a chance to use all it's functions yet but I bought it because I can scan 35mm slides, print pictures and documents. I'm sure other multifunction printers can do that too. But it was time to upgrade from my reliable Canon i560 that gave me many years of untroubled use and my old scanner just won't run with my new Vista 64-bit Desktop. so it was time to upgrade everything.

My wife really wanted me to buy a colour laser printer so that she can print smudge/water proof labels for her homemade products but I also had to balance all the needs so I opted for this printer.

What swayed me was a demonstration of the printing of a picture on glossy photo paper that upon trying to smudge with a wet thumb I couldn't. I asked about other Canon paper stock that gives this smudgeproof-ability and there seemed to be a nice range of Photo-quality stock. There was a reference to Glossy Photo Stickers (Canon cat# PS101) but Canon (Sydney Office) couldn't tell me on the phone if the stickers gave the same smudgeproof-ness but thought that they must.

It's the only photo sticker paper they have.

So now I am looking for recommendations on self adhesive paper stock that gives the same smudgeproof-ness on Canon printer and Ink.

Ideally it would be A4 size paper with pre-cut labels (like Avery labels) but will consider other options as what I am after is the smudgeproof-ness.

I have read on these forums that an acrylic spray can water proof standard paper (hope I interpreted that right) but would like to avoid sprays if possible.

I look forward to your assistance.

and Happy New Year

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Clevo said:
hehe..it was hard to give a despcriptive consise title for my problem. I hope I can explain it better now.

Just purchased the Canon Pixma MP-970. Haven't had a chance to use all it's functions yet but I bought it because I can scan 35mm slides, print pictures and documents. I'm sure other multifunction printers can do that too. But it was time to upgrade from my reliable Canon i560 that gave me many years of untroubled use and my old scanner just won't run with my new Vista 64-bit Desktop. so it was time to upgrade everything.

My wife really wanted me to buy a colour laser printer so that she can print smudge/water proof labels for her homemade products but I also had to balance all the needs so I opted for this printer.

What swayed me was a demonstration of the printing of a picture on glossy photo paper that upon trying to smudge with a wet thumb I couldn't. I asked about other Canon paper stock that gives this smudgeproof-ability and there seemed to be a nice range of Photo-quality stock. There was a reference to Glossy Photo Stickers (Canon cat# PS101) but Canon (Sydney Office) couldn't tell me on the phone if the stickers gave the same smudgeproof-ness but thought that they must.

It's the only photo sticker paper they have.

So now I am looking for recommendations on self adhesive paper stock that gives the same smudgeproof-ness on Canon printer and Ink.

Ideally it would be A4 size paper with pre-cut labels (like Avery labels) but will consider other options as what I am after is the smudgeproof-ness.

I have read on these forums that an acrylic spray can water proof standard paper (hope I interpreted that right) but would like to avoid sprays if possible.

I look forward to your assistance.

and Happy New Year
Perhaps you should take more simple and less expensive approach. If your labels are not very big you can print them on plain paper and then stick Scotch Tape on top. It will be smudge proof even more than any other way and you avid the need to buy a laminator.

This way you will also avoid the fumes of sprays etc.

Clevo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks smile for the very pragmatic approach.

however, the labels need to go on jars of home made products for sale...so they need to look professional enough. We're tracking down an external professional printer shop that does a good job cheaply so in the meantime we would like to use what we have with as professional a finish as possible.

sticky tape will not do but thanks for bring a smile to my face

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Clevo said:
Thanks smile for the very pragmatic approach.

however, the labels need to go on jars of home made products for sale...so they need to look professional enough. We're tracking down an external professional printer shop that does a good job cheaply so in the meantime we would like to use what we have with as professional a finish as possible.

sticky tape will not do but thanks for bring a smile to my face
Hmm not professional, well sticky tape or cold lamination call it as you like and it is cheap and done as a professional service in so called professional print shops like you are looking for. So I see no reason why you can't do it yourself.

The other way is to just use laser or thermal printer to print the stickers, are they need to be in color or BW only?
Other than that no inkjet will be smudge proof, they are designed to print photos and a photo needs to held by it's edges only.

Laser will be cheaper to run and water proof, you don't need special paper for it only if you want glossy stickers only then you will need special photo laser glossy paper.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Three possible choices: buy a pigment-based ink printer. Some of the Epsons and the newer Canon pro printers have pigment inks. Use a color laser printer. Professional printer. There are some online professional printers who do small print runs reasonably. Professional printers will probably be most cost effective for large runs, but for small runs the laser might be best even though the consumables are expensive. We're talking about labels, and not 16x20 prints.

Clevo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I need to make custom labels in small runs...so it's not feasable to go to the printers (except with some of the labels)

The labels are a graphic background (colour) with black text.

I'm getting generic A4 Glossy Photo self adhesive paper to test on.

The glossy photo prints are smudge proof using canon paper but they don;t make 14 Glossy Photo self adhesive paper.

I guess what I am asking is.... can anyone recommend or has used generic A4 self adhesive Glossy Photo Paper on a Canon that retains the same snudge proof qualities that the Canon Paper does?

Clevo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Update:

on australian e-bay an e-bay shop sells injket paper of many kinds and so, went ahead and spent $23AUD on 100 sheets of A4 self adhesive glossy photo paper.

It arrived today and did a test print.

Very Impressed! and so to will be the Mrs when she see what I can do for her labels!

Excellent drying times and good water resistance.

The Product:

Doesn't seem to have a brand name. The front says "Any Colour Premium Glossy Photo Paper". Later Colour is spelt the American way (Color).

Product is made in Japan.

I set the Canon to print on Glossy Photo Paper even though the back of the pack suggests to go down one notch on the settings.

Will be buying more from this e-bay shop.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions and help