Canon PIXMA MP530 install problems

duecekd

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I recently purchased a new Pixma MP530 and am trying to install it on a machine w/ WinXP Pro. I get all the way through the install, and at the point it tells me to turn on printer and plug in the USB cable, Windows says it found new hardware, and found Canon MP530, and then goes to BSOD complaining about the file AECHD.sys.

I found that that file is a USB driver component. I am connecting the printer through a 2.0 cable to a 4 port adaptec USB card Model USB 2 Connect 4000B, which ran my old Canon i960 just fine. I reinstalled the drivers for the USB card. On a fresh boot of the PC, as soon as you turn on the printer, the same scenario happens, Found new hardware, then BSOD.

I have uninstalled all Canon software and started over, only to get the same exact results.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks--KD

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I've looked this up and can't find anything on this file, but it definitely appears to be a driver conflict of some type.
Boot into safe mode, and uninstall the 530 driver. Uninstall the i960 driver as well.

Have you tried the install on a usb port directly on the computer USB port instead of a the installed adaptec card? Did you look at the specs on the box to see if you have enough memory to install the printer?

Check the Canon site and see if there is an updated version of your driver. If so, try installing that one. If not, you are still under warranty, and should call 1-800-OK Canon to talk to a techie. Post your results here when you solve the problem. I sell and fix printers, and have never come across this problem...so I'd like to know the cause.

best of luck!!

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Manuchau said:
Have you tried the install on a usb port directly on the computer USB port instead of a the installed adaptec card?
I agree.

The problem is very likely the USB controller card. The printer driver set creates a virtual USB port for the printer to operate through and can be disagreeable with some add-in controller cards.

A good rule of thumb is to avoid USB controller cards with the VIA or ALi chipsets.
These have been problematic...quirky at best.
Instead go for the NEC chipset.

I have cards from Compaq (rebadged MicroInnovations) and Belkin that have NEC chips are are problem-free.
Newegg sells these by the trainload :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166002
It's their house brand and just so happens to look exactly like my $25 Compaq cards!

duecekd

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To answer some of the questions on the 2 replies thus far, I did uninstall all Canon drivers, and went as far as uninstalling the different programs bundled with the new printer. I had checked Canon's FAQ and drivers. The newest driver was the exact same version as the one that came with the MP530.

In a last ditch effort, I plugged it in to the USB port on the Motherboard that you would normally plug a USB mouse or keyboard into. That worked with no problems at all. The printer is working. I reinstalled the programs for camera, faxing and such, and no problems so far. My only question is I don't know whether that USB port is the high speed port that I had through the card. It is connected through a 2.0 high speed cable.

I think you are right Manuchau, it must be the Adaptec card. I have not tried to plug another USB device into that card yet to see if the card went south, or it just didn't like the info the printer was sending. If it is the card, I'll use you link to get one of the NEC controllers you mentioned. I had thought that Adaptec was king of these types of cards, but maybe the one I have is old technology.

I really appreciate the feedback from both of you. Maybe this post will save some hair on the next guys head!

KD

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you have things sorted.

Back in the day, Adaptec was king as was Belkin.
It is no longer the case and their prices are, IMO, out of line.

It's possible that your Adaptec has an NEC chip, but I would bet that it has a VIA or ALi
Bear in mind that some peripherals just don't get along with add-on cards, so your mileage may vary.

Your motherboard specs will tell you whether or not USB 2.0 is supported.
I have a Canon A620 camera, and when it is connected to a USB 1.1 port, it will tell me. Perhaps you have something similar ?

In Device Manager, under USB Controllers you will see the term "Enhanced" if you have USB 2.0
PC Wizard (free D/L) will also identify your controller types.
http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Glad to hear the problem is sorted out. Jflan's information is entirely correct.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about being installed through USB 1.1 - The spooler will release the computer almost immediately and then feed the data to the printer. The data feed is probably faster than these printers can print. I've noticed no appreciable difference with 1.1 and 2.0 USB when using my i960 printer. An external USB hard drive, on the other hand, would probably show a significant difference in data transfer times.

I had a problem with installation of an ip5000 in place of my i960 about a year ago. I never did resolve it. I was able to install the ip5000 ok, but it would only work if I disabled the spooler for this particular printer. I was on the phone with a Canon rep and also went onto the MS XP usergroup site to get advice. What didn't work for me might be the key to your problem. There are files that the Canon rep had me delete in addition to both of the Canon printer drivers. The files I didn't know about were specific to spooler function for the installed printers. You might check with Canon support.

duecekd

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This PC that the MP530 is connected to is an old Frankenstein machine. After looking in the device manager, besides the Adaptec card it only shows a "VIA rev5 or later Controller". As was mentioned by Fotofreek, the printer responds immediately to commands to print, even over my network, so I am happy.

Just for the record, in a Belarc report of the PC, and in the device manager, it shows the Adaptec card as having an NEC chip.

I do appreciate the responses, and if any of you are bored and have any interest or input on the problem with my i960 that caused me to buy this new printer, my old woes were posted in this forum also. I would love to resurrect that old machine if possible.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1905

Thanks again-KD