Canon Pixma MP500

Stevevo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
How does one go about refilling the new chipped cartridges? I thougt I saw it somewhere that you have to reset it the first time you refill then it is okay but don't know where I saw it. Can anyone help me?

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
I don't know the exact process, but it will warn you multiple times that the cartridges are empty (they cannot be reset), and after about the fifth try, it will say 'If you continue printing with empty cartridges, you void your warranty. Please replace them, or press this button sequence to continue printing'

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Stevevo said:
How does one go about refilling the new chipped cartridges? I thougt I saw it somewhere that you have to reset it the first time you refill then it is okay but don't know where I saw it. Can anyone help me?
Ok first things first..

You cannot "reset" the new Canon chipped printers.. What you can do is to accept responsibility for any damage caused by the use of 3rd party ink in your printer.

What happens is that the printer will detect your ink level using a prism and it also has a backup in that the chip will maintain a nozzle firing count so the cartridge will either be physically empty (the prism helps the printer detect that) OR the chip notifies the printer that it should be empty.

This "empty" process triggers the "accept responsibility" process otherwise known as the three prophets of doom... If your printer is connected directly to your PC it'll display three warnings telling you that it has detected a non-standard Canon cartridge and how it's BAD! and could break your printer if you continue. You need to accept each warning by clicking Continue before it'll finally tell you that you need to press and hold down the Resume button on your printer for 5 seconds before it'll start printing again.

You'll notice that once it restarts that the cartridge(s) affected/refilled will no longer show their ink levels in the printers status monitor so you now need to keep a close eye on the cartridge levels yourself to make sure they don't run out.

That's about it, but it's important to note that your printer will allegedly no longer qualify for warranty replacement or repair and depending on how good your refill ink is, you could well clog up the printhead so you need to be sure you understand the process and read the warnings because at the end of the day it's your printer and your decision.

Hope that helps.