Canon Pixma IP1800 refill problem suddenly

spoll

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi-I recently refilled my cartridges with Calidad refill ink and it has been working fairly well for me until this morning. I just printed something last night and had no problems however this morning I tried and an error message came up that I was out of ink. I opened both cartridges and topped them off with Calidad and I'm still getting the message. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

spoll

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Just found a solution by reviewing this excellent site.

Press the resume button for a few seconds while selecting "print". Worked like a charm, thanks!

Forsurchi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi spoll,

Yea, basically most pixma's you can work around by just pressing the reset button. Luckily Canon doesn't mind giving the consumer the option to continue printing after one color has ran low or out. I have a Epson C120 and an HP 3140, which I buy refills for at GenXinks.com. I just got the Continuous ink System for my C120 which I think works awesome. I'm all excited about having the system that I keep mentioning the place I purchased it from. I guess you can't complain about good service.

Another thing I almost forgot to mention, people seem to think that by refilling the cartridge that your printer will automatically know it has ink. This is very wrong. Well almost completely wrong. Canon actually has printers that read the ink level inside the cartridge, they do this by beaming a low light into the cartridge that sends a signal back giving it the estimated amount of ink in the cartridge. However, most printers have a chip on them, and if they have a chip, or a sensor, then the printer only reads that. This means that everytime you use your printer, the cartridge will tell the printer how much ink it estimates it has calculating it on what you've already printed, and what it orginally had.

Just thought I'd throw that in for people that don't understand how ink levels are determined.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Just to refine the last posting, the light beam used on Canon BCI-6 and similar cartridges, is an 'all or nothing' indicator. It only indicates whether there is ink above the sensor level - it does not estimate how much ink is left.