Canon Pixma iP1500 can I force it to print only in a specific color

Just Saul

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all!
Ran out of black cartridges but have a LOT of color. In Word I can print in gray if I color the characters. Tried to find a way to do the default printing color as gray in the printer preferences but... nothing worked.
Does someone know if/how can it be done?
Thanks in advance.
Saul

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
not totally sure if this would work, but try using the Greyscale setting with the matte or "other" paper setting. this should force the printer to use the colour cartridge more. On the other hand, having an empty blk cartridge might ruin your printhead.

You could also buy some blk refill ink, and easily refill the black, or buy blk compatibles for about $1.00 - $2.00 ea. This would be the best and cheapest option.

Just Saul

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Manuchau for your reply!
In the meantime the printer completely gone. (Maybe like you said, because of the empty cartrigde). But anyway it's for sometime having some problems (Had to reset constantly the waste ink absorber and so), but since I have the extended warranty I am going to just return it and buy a new one. I have no idea which one, so I will post the question in a new thread. So to you, again, and to all who read this thread, thanks!
Saul

Just Saul

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Manuchau:
I just tried what you suggested (to satisfy my curiosity and just not let your answer be wasted :) and. It works! Prints in black but it prints!
Thanks again, Saul

Just Saul

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
And now I tried to uncheck the Greyscale box, just leave it with the only change made: from "Plain Paper" to another kind of photo paper and it prints in all the colors+ black (when I return to plain paper doesn't print the black).