Canon Pixma 5000 Self Destruct Printhead

Danny Kiwi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Guys...This is the SECOND Time this has happened...
After replacing my BC1-3eBK with a third party cartrige..black will not print at all,.. and after examining the Printhead I notice what looks like a for of Arcing(Like one sees is a Cars Distributer Cap when the Contacts Arc)on the circuit side of the Prinhead..
Its only BCI 3-Bk that wont print by the way all the other colors seem fine..
Is this Canons way of ensuring that we dont use anyone elses Injet Cartridges??Any suggestions??
Thanks ..

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
It sounds like you have an electronics problem with the printer. Try using an OEM cartridge, either new or refilled with ink from one of the favorite suppliers mentioned here. While it's highly unlikely the ink cartridge has anything to do with the problem, it wouldn't hurt to eliminate one possibility. At this point I'd recommend cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser and installing a different ink cartridge as previously mentioned.

d86cfv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Does the ink flow from the print head when you dab it onto some tissue? If it does then I'd go with electric problem, if it doesn't then your brand could be messing with your head.
The 5000 is Very High res perhaps it doesn't like the ink?

I have similar problems with compat' bci 24bk's, they like the older machines but the i455 range (inc mp360-390 mp110 130) really don't like them. Refills they are fine on though. Ink that's ok on some machines that take the bci's may not be ok for yours.

Dan

Danny Kiwi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Guys for your Input it is much appreciated..
The Printer will still Print Color Photos and the likes if i set the paper at Photo Glossy, and it uses the black BCI -6BK But its just the Text Type Black that comes from the BCi-3 that wont print and on a nozzle pattern test the top black line show as nothing at all..
It must be the Viscosity of the third party ink that has effected the electrics of the printhead that is all I can think off..
BTW is there anyway Ican still print text using the BCI-6BK,after all it will print photos??
TX and Greetings from the bottom of the world...(New Zealand)